Areas of Specialization
Constitutional Law; Constitutional Law--14th Amendment; Constitutional Law--1st Amendment (Speech); Constitutional Law--Federalism
First Amendment; Law and Religion; Constitutional Law; Constitutional Theory
Representative Professional Activities and Achievements
Professor Zick graduated summa cum laude from Indiana University and summa cum laude from Georgetown University Law Center, where he received the Francis E. Lucey, S.J. Award for graduating first in his class. While at Georgetown, Professor Zick was a Notes and Comments editor of the Georgetown Law Journal. Following law school, Professor Zick was an associate with the law firms of Williams and Connolly in Washington, D.C., where he assisted in the defense of congressional term limits in the Supreme Court of the United States, and Foley Hoag in Boston. He served as a law clerk to the Honorable Levin H. Campbell of the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit. Professor Zick also served as a Trial Attorney in the Federal Programs Branch of the United States Department of Justice, where he defended the constitutionality and legality of a variety of federal programs and statutes.
Professor Zick has written on a variety of constitutional issues, with a special focus on the First Amendment. He is the author of four university press books on the subject:Speech Out of Doors: Preserving First Amendment Liberties in Public Places (Cambridge University Press, 2009); The Cosmopolitan First Amendment: Protecting Transborder Expressive and Religious Liberties (Cambridge University Press, 2013); The Dynamic Free Speech Clause: Free Speech and Its Relation to Other Constitutional Rights (Oxford University Press, 2018); and The First Amendment in the Trump Era (Oxford University Press, 2019).
Professor Zick has been a frequent commentator in local, national, and international media regarding public protests and other First Amendment concerns. He testified before Congress on the Occupy Wall Street protests and rights of free speech, assembly, and petition. Professor Zick has been the recipient of the Plumeri Award for Faculty Excellence in 2011, 2013 and 2017.
In the News
- Olivia Li, When Protestors Carry Guns, Does It Impede Others’ Free Speech?, The Trace, March 5, 2020. Online.
- Graham Moomaw, Would Virginia’s red flag law withstand constitutional scrutiny? In other states, similar laws already have., Virginia Mercury, Feb. 5, 2020. Online.
- Aaron Freiwald, host of the Good Law|Bad Law podcast, interviewed Professor Zick about his recently published book, The First Amendment in the Trump Era , (OUP 2019). Listen: Online.
- Marissa J. Lang, A police officer sued a Black Lives Matter protester for violence he didn’t commit. What’s next has free-speech advocates worried., The Washington Post, Dec. 13, 2019. Online.
- Timothy Zick, Edited by: Tim Zubizarreta, The Constitutional Case for "Red Flag" Laws, Jurist, Dec. 6, 2019. Online.
- Adam Liptak, After Long Gap, Supreme Court Poised to Break Silence on Gun Rights, The New York Times, Dec. 2, 2019. Online.
- Robin Bravender, U.S. Supreme Court may sidestep a big Second Amendment fight, The Virginia Mercury, Dec. 2, 2019. Online.
- Ben Paviour, ‘2nd Amendment Sanctuaries’ Push Back on Proposed New Gun Laws, VPM, Nov. 20, 2019. Online.
- Nico Perrino, So to Speak podcast: ‘The First Amendment in the Trump Era’ w/ Professor Timothy Zick, The Fire, Nov. 14, 2019. Online.
- First Amendment Watch (NYU) Interviews Professor Zick About His Book, The First Amendment in the Trump Era, First Amendment Watch, Oct. 30, 2019. Online.
- Allison Wrabel, Albemarle eyes more changes to allowable public use of county property, The Daily Progress, Oct. 12, 2019. Online.
- David Lazarus, Trump says drug companies should include prices in TV ads. Good luck with that, Los Angeles Times, Oct. 18, 2018. Online.
- Timothy Zick, Judge Kavanaugh and Freedom of Expression, SCOTUSblog, August 7, 2018. Online.
- Linda Qui, Trump Takes Aim at Kerry — Again — Ahead of Announcement on Iran Deal, New York Times, May 7, 2018. Online.
- Steven Nelson, Calling Police ‘Pigs’ Lands Teen in Jail, U.S. News & World Report, Aug. 17, 2015. Online.
- Dante Ramos, Dictating the Terms of Free Speech, Boston Globe, Jan. 21, 2015. Online.
- The First Amendment in the Trump Era (Oxford U. Press, 2019). Online.
- The Dynamic Free Speech Clause: Freedom of Speech and Its Relation to Other Constitutional Rights (Oxford U. Press, 2018). Purchase.
- The Cosmopolitan First Amendment: Protecting Transborder Expressive and Religious Liberties ( Cambridge U. Press, 2014). Purchase.
- Speech Out of Doors: Preserving First Amendment Liberties in Public Places (Cambridge U. Press, 2009). Purchase.
- Framing the Second Amendment: Gun Rights, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties, 106 Iowa L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2020).
- The Second Amendment as a Fundamental Right, 46 Hastings Const. L.Q. 621 (2019). SSRN.
- Arming Public Protests, 104 Iowa L. Rev. 233 (2018). SSRN.
- Managing Dissent, 95 Wash. U. L. Rev. 1423 (2018). SSRN.
- Justice Scalia and Abortion Speech, 15 First Amend. L. Rev. 288 (2017). SSRN.
- Restroom Use, Civil Rights, and Free Speech (Opportunism), 78 Ohio St. L.J. 963 (2017). SSRN.
- Rights Dynamism, 19 U. Pa. J. Const. L. 791 (2017). SSRN.
- The Dynamic Relationship Between Freedom of Expression and Equality, 12 Duke J.L. & Pub. Pol. 13 (2016) to be reprinted in First Amendment Law Handbook: 2017-2018 Edition (Rodney A. Smolla ed., Thompson/West 2018. SSRN.
- First Amendment Cosmopolitanism, Skepticism, and Democracy, 76 Ohio St. L.J. 705 (2015) (Book Review Reponse). SSRN.
- Professional Rights Speech, 47 Ariz. St. L.J. 1289 (2015) (reprinted in First Amendment Law Handbook: 2016-2017 Edition (Rodney A. Smolla ed., Thompson/West 2017). SSRN.
- Rights Speech, 48 U.C. Davis L. Rev. 1 (2014) (reprinted in First Amendment Law Handbook: 2015-2016 Edition (Rodney A. Smolla ed., Thompson/West 2016)). SSRN.
- Falsely Shouting Fire in a Global Theater: Emerging Complexities of Trans-Border Expression, 65 Vand. L. Rev. 125 (2012) (reprinted in First Amendment Law Handbook: 2012-2013 Edition (Rodney A. Smolla ed., Thompson/West 2013)). SSRN.
- Recovering the Assembly Clause, 91 Tex. L. Rev. 375 (2012) (reviewing John D. Inazu, Liberty's Refuge: The Forgotten Freedom of Assembly (2012)).
- The First Amendment in Trans-Border Perspective: Toward a More Cosmopolitan Orientation, 52 B.C. L. Rev. 941 (2011), reprinted in First Amendment Law Handbook: 2011-2012 Edition (Rodney A. Smolla ed., Thompson/West 2012). SSRN.
- Summum, The Vocality of Public Places, and the Public Forum, 2010 BYU L. Rev. 2203 (2010). SSRN.
- Property As/And Constitutional Settlement, 104 Nw. U. L. Rev. 1361 (2010). SSRN.
- Territoriality and the First Amendment: Free Speech At -- and Beyond -- Our Borders, 85 Notre Dame L. Rev. 1543 (2010). SSRN.
- "Duty-Defining Power" and the First Amendment's Civil Domain, 109 Colum. L. Rev. Sidebar 116 (2009). SSRN.
- Constitutional Displacement, 86 Wash. U. L. Rev. 515 (2009). SSRN.
- Active Sovereignty, 20 St. John's J.L. & Pub. Pol'y 541 (2007). SSRN.
- Clouds, Cameras, and Computers: The First Amendment and Networked Public Places, 59 Fla. L. Rev. 1 (2007), reprinted in First Amendment Law Handbook: 2007-2008 Edition (Rodney A. Smolla ed., Thompson/West 2007). SSRN.
- Property, Place, and Public Discourse, 21 Wash. U. J.L. & Pol'y 173 (2006). SSRN.
- Space, Place, and Speech: The Expressive Topography, 74 Geo. Wash. L. Rev. 439 (2006). SSRN.
- Speech and Spatial Tactics, 84 Tex. L. Rev. 581 (2006). SSRN.
- Are the States Sovereign?, 83 Wash. U. L.Q. 229 (2005). SSRN.
- Cross Burning, Cockfighting, and Symbolic Meaning: Toward A First Amendment Ethnography, 45 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 2261 (2004). SSRN.
- Statehood as The New Personhood: The Discovery of Fundamental "States' Rights," 46 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 213 (2004). SSRN.
- Constitutional Empiricism: Quasi-Neutral Principles and Constitutional Truths, 82 N.C. L. Rev. 115 (2003). SSRN.
- Marbury Ascendant: The Rehnquist Court and the Power to "Say What The Law Is," 59 Wash. & Lee L. Rev. 839 (2002). SSRN.
- Parades, Picketing, and Demonstrations, in Oxford Handbook on Freedom of Speech (Schauer & Stone eds., 2019). SSRN.
- Book Review of Robert L. Tsai's Practical Equality: Forging Justice in a Divided Nation (W.W. Norton & Co. 2019). SSRN.
- Timothy Zick, Firearms Law Workshop Mini-Symposium, Part III: Framing the Second Amendment: Gun Rights, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties, Duke Center for Firearms Law Blog, August 22, 2019 . Online.
- Timothy Zick, TRUST and Retaliation: The First Amendment and Trump's Taxes, ACSBlog, July 31, 2019 . Online.
- Timothy Zick, The President's Utterly Un-American Response to Dissent, ACSBlog, July 22, 2019 . Online.
- Timothy Zick, President Trump: Challenging Core First Amendment Principles, ACSBlog, August 20, 2018 . Online.
- Timothy Zick, The First Amendment, the Second Amendment, and 3D Firearms, ACSBlog, August 8, 2018 . Online.
- Protests in Peril, U.S. News & World Report, November 20, 2017. Online.
- What Trump Misses About Free Speech, U.S. News & World Report, September 26, 2017. Online.
- The First Amendment and the World, Washington Monthly, January 23, 2016. Online.