Areas of Specialization
Commercial Law; Contract Law; Law & Neuroscience; Products Liability Law; Sales Law
Contracts; Law & Neuroscience; Products Liability; Sales
Representative Professional Activities and Achievements
Joined the faculty in 1991. Cabell Research Professor of Law from 1997-1998, 2012-13, and 2017-2018; Plumeri Award for Faculty Excellence in 2012. Practiced law in Chicago and taught at the University of Texas Graduate School of Business and the University of Alabama School of Law. Has been a visiting professor at the University of Illinois, Washington and Lee University, Washington University, and University of Texas law schools.
Author of The Moral Conflict of Law and Neuroscience, A Theory of Contract Law: Empirical Insights and Moral Psychology; Commercial Contracting; The Law of Suretyship and Guaranty; Bankruptcy: Cases and Materials; Cases, Problems and Materials on Payment Systems; The Commercial Law of Intellectual Property; Sales, Leases and Bulk Transfers; The Law of Fraudulent Transactions; and Uniform Commercial Code Transactions Guide. Author of articles in the Northwestern, Michigan, Minnesota, Illinois, North Carolina, Fordham, California, Texas, and William and Mary Law Reviews, and the Emory, Ohio State and Georgetown Law Journals.
Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice, 1991-2005. Member of the American Law Institute and Association of American Law Schools' Section on Commercial and Related Consumer Law; Advisor to Restatement (Third) of the Law of Suretyship and Guaranty.
- The Moral Conflict of Law and Neuroscience (The University of Chicago Press 2018).
- A Theory of Contract Law: Empirical Insights and Moral Psychology (Oxford U. Press 2011).
- Commercial Contracting (Lexis 2004) (with David Frisch & Francis J. Mootz III).
- The Law of Suretyship and Guaranty (Warren, Gorham & Lamont 1996) (Annual Supplement).
- Cases and Materials on Bankruptcy (West 1995) (with Margaret Howard).
- The Commercial Law of Intellectual Property (Little, Brown & Co. 1994) (with Harold F. See) (Annual Supplement) (ann. supp. co-author Jay Kesan).
- Sales, Leases, and Bulk Transfers (Matthew Bender 1989) (with Nathaniel Hansford).
- The Law of Fraudulent Transactions (Warren, Gorham & Lamont 1989) (Semi-Annual Supplement).
- Uniform Commercial Code Transaction Guide, four volumes (Callaghan 1988) (Commercial Paper, Bank Collections, and Letters of Credit) (1990 supplement to treatise).
- Commercial Paper and Alternative Payment Systems (Matthew Bender 1987) (with Marion Benfield).
Book Revisions and Supplements
- Commercial Contracting (Lexis 2d ed. 2008) (with David Frisch & Francis J. Mootz III).
- Cases and Materials on Bankruptcy (West Publishing Company 2d ed. 2001) (with Margaret Howard).
- Payment Systems (West Publishing Company 2d ed. 1993) (with Marion W. Benfield, Jr.) (comprehensive revision of Commercial Paper and Alternative Payment Systems, 1987).
- Into the Void: Charting the Gap Between the Philosophy and Science of Punishing, in Routledge Handbook of the Philosophy and Science of Punishment (Routledge, forthcoming 2019).
- Neuroscience Changes More Than Your Mind Can Think, 2017 U. Ill. J.L. Tech. & Pol'y 141 (with Paul S. Davies).
- The Death of Consent?, in Comparative Contract Law: British and American Perspectives (Oxford U. Press 2015).
- The Minimum Content of Natural Contract Law, in Current Issues in Commercial Contracts: Transatlantic Perspectives (Cambridge U. Press 2013).
- Contract IS Context, 45 Wake Forest L. Rev. 903 (2010) ("Contract in Context" Symposium) (solicited).
- They Can Do What?!, 26 Ga. St. U. L. Rev. 1099 (2010) (with Greenfield) (Consumer Finance Symposium) (solicited).
- Is it Time for the Restatement of Contracts, Fourth?, 11 Duq. Bus. L.J. 195 (2009) (with Christopher Byrne) (Revised Article 2 of the U.C.C. Symposium) (solicited).
- Unintelligent Design in Contract, 2008 U. Ill. L. Rev. 505 (2008).
- Carrying a Good Joke Too Far, 83 Chi.-Kent L. Rev. 879 (2008) (with Hopkins) (U.C.C. Article 3 & 4 Symposium) (solicited).
- Guerilla Terms, 56 Emory L.J. 1511 (2007).
- The Moral Impossibility of Contract, 48 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 1647 (2007) (Law and Morality Symposium).
- On Discovering Doctrine: "Justice" in Contract Agreement, 83 Wash. U. L.Q. 471 (2005).
- The Unruliness of Rules, 101 Mich. L. Rev. 2037 (2003) (reviewing Larry Alexander & Emily Sherwin, The Rule of Rules: Morality, Rules, and the Dilemmas of Law) (essay review).
- Contract Reconceived, 96 Nw. U. L. Rev. 39 (2001).
- Regret and Contract "Science," 89 Geo. L.J. 143 (2000) (essay).
- Commercial Codification as Negotiation, 32 U.C. Davis L. Rev. 17 (1999) (with David Frisch).
- Defending Truth, 78 Tex. L. Rev. 493 (1999) (with Cynthia V. Ward) (reviewing Daniel A. Farber & Suzanna Sherry, Beyond All Reason: The Radical Assault on Truth in American Law, Oxford University Press, 1997) (essay review).
- If You Don't Have Anything Good To Say …, 15 Bankr. Dev. J. 383 (1999) (reviewing Karen Gross, Failure and Forgiveness: Rebalancing the Bankruptcy System) (solicited) (book review).
- W(h)ither Warranty: The B(l)oom of Products Liability Theory in Cases of Deficient Software Design, 87 Cal. L. Rev. 269 (1999).
- When Y2K Causes "Economic Loss" to "Other Property," 84 Minn. L. Rev. 1 (1999) (with Aaron Book).
- Commenting On "Purpose" In the Uniform Commercial Code, 58 Ohio St. L.J. 419 (1997) (with David Frisch).
- On the UCC Revision Process: A Reply to Dean Scott, 37 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 1217 (1996) (with David Frisch).
- Abolish the Article 9 Filing System, 79 Minn. L. Rev. 679 (1995) (U.C.C. Article 9 Filing Symposium) (solicited).
- Introduction to The Revision of Article 2 of the Uniform Commerical Code Symposium, 35 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 1299 (1994) (symposium article).
- Reinventing the Wheel, 35 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 1405 (1994) (with Marion W. Benfield) (U.C.C. Article 2 Revision Symposium).
- Toil of the Firestarters, 92 Mich. L. Rev. 1707 (1994) (reviewing Julius G. Getman, In The Company of Scholars) (book review ).
- Clearer Conceptions of Insider Preferences, 71 Wash. U. L.Q. 1107 (1993), excerpted in Charles Tabb, Bankruptcy Anthology (Anderson 2001).
- Independence, Interdependence, and the Suretyship Principle, 1993 U. Ill. L. Rev. 447 (1993) (essay).
- Reconsidering Consideration in the Restatement (Third) of Suretyship, 34 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 1053 (1993) (Suretyship Symposium).
- Rethinking Professor Westbrook's Two Thoughts About Insider Preferences, 77 Minn. L. Rev. 605 (1993).
- Roll Over, Llewellyn?, 26 Loy. L.A. L. Rev. 543 (1993) (Uniform Commercial Law Symposium) (solicited).
- An Agenda for Reform of the U.C.C. Article 9 Filing System, 44 Okla. L. Rev. 99 (1991) (with Robert Lloyd) (U.C.C. Article 9 Symposium) (solicited), excerpted in Jordan, Warren & Walt, Secured Transactions in Personal Property (Foundation Press 2000) and Jordan & Warren, Commercial Law (Foundation Press 1992).
- Bank Liability for Fiduciary Fraud, 42 Ala. L. Rev. 475 (1991) (with Marion Benfield) U.C.C. Articles 3, 4, and 4A Symposium), excerpted in Rubin & Cooter, The Payment System: Cases, Materials and Issues (West 2d ed. 1994).
- Fraud Bases of Bulk Transferee Liability, 63 Temp. L. Rev. 679 (1990), excerpted in Dolan & Ponoroff, Basic Concepts in Commercial Law: Cases and Materials (West 1998).
- Statutory Personal Property Lease Law in Alabama, 42 Ala. L. Rev. 101 (1990) (with P. Cade Newman).
- The Confluence of Bulk Transfer and Fraudulent Disposition Law, 41 Ala. L. Rev. 821 (1990) (U.C.C. Article Symposium), reprinted as modified in Callaghan's Commercial Law Annual (1991), excerpted in Harris & Miller, The Emerging New Uniform Commercial Code (ALI-ABA Course of Study Materials, 1990).
- Surreptitious and Not-So-Surreptitious Adjustment of the U.C.C., 39 Ala. L. Rev. 559 (1988) (U.C.C. Article 2A Symposium) (Introductory Essay).
- Generic Fraud and the Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act, 9 Cardozo L. Rev. 743 (1987) (U.F.T.A. Symposium) (solicited).
- Toward a Jurisprudence of Bank-Customer Relations, 32 Wayne L. Rev. 1279 (1986), excerpted in Rubin & Cooter, The Payment System: Cases, Materials and Issues (West 1989).
- A Critical Analysis of the New Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act, 1985 U. Ill. L. Rev. 527 (1985) (with Luthor Dorr).
- A Jurisprudential Perspective for the "True" Codification of Payments Law, 53 Fordham L. Rev. 83 (1984).
- The Efficacy of Guaranty Contracts in Sophisticated Commercial Transactions, 61 N.C. L. Rev. 655 (1983).
- Unexpired Leases in Bankruptcy: Rights of the Affected Mortgagee, 35 U. Fla. L. Rev. 656 (1983).
- Personal Property Leasing: Article 2A of the U.C.C., in New York Practice Guide: Business and Commercial Law, Ch. 19 (Matthew Bender 1992).
- Personal Property Leasing: Article 2A of the U.C.C., in New York Practice Guide: Business and Commercial Law, Ch.19 (Matthew Bender 1987).