Areas of Specialization
Constitutional Law--Eminent Domain (Takings); Corporations; Economic Analysis of Law; Economics of Corporate Structure; Land Use and Zoning; Property Law; Real Estate Transactions
Representative Professional Activities and Achievements
Professor Kades graduated from the Yale Law School, where he was an Articles Editor on the Yale Law Journal. He clerked for Judge Morton I. Greenberg on the Third Circuit, and began his teaching career at Wayne State University in Detroit. Author of articles in North Carolina, University of Pennsylvania, Rutgers, and Yale law reviews/journals, and in the Law and History Review and Law & Social Inquiry. Recipient of teaching awards in 1995, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2018 and 2020.
- The New Feudalism (forthcoming 2022).
Articles and Book Chapters
- A New Feudalism: Selfish Genes, Great Wealth and the Rise of the Dynastic Family Trust, 55 U. CONN. L. REV. 19 (2022). Online.
- The Charitable Continuum, 22 Theoretical Inquiries in Law 285 (2021) (invited symposium article, conference on legal discontinuities, University of Tel Aviv Buchman School of Law, December 2019).
- Of Piketty and Perpetuities, 60 B.C. L. Rev. 145 (2019). SSRN.
- Straitjacket: Wider Implications of the Natural Property Rights Case That Regressive Taxation Is a Taking, 51 U.C. Davis L. Rev. 1351 (2018). SSRN.
- Corrective Progressivity (2016), (working paper). SSRN.
- Giving Credit Where Credit is Due: Fighting Inequality with a Progressive State Tax Credit, 77 La. L. Rev. 359 (2016). SSRN.
- The "Middle Ground" Perspective on the Expropriation of Indian Lands, 32 Law & Soc. Inquiry 827 (2008) (reviewing How the Indians Lost Their Land, Law and Power on the Frontier (Belknap & Harvard U. Press 2005)) (book review).
- Preserving a Precious Resource: Rationalizing the Use of Antibiotics, 99 Nw. U. L. Rev. 611 (2005).
- Foreward: Property Rights & Economic Development, 45 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 815 (2004) (symposium).
- Drawing the Line Between Taxes and Takings: The Continuous Burdens Principle, and Its Broader Application, 97 Nw. U. L. Rev. 189 (2002).
- The End of the Hudson Valley's Peculiar Institution: The Anti-Rent Movement's Politics, Social Relations, and Economics, 27 Law & Soc. Inquiry 941 (2002) (book review).
- History and Interpretation of the Great Case of Johnson v. M'Intosh, 19 Law & Hist. Rev. 67 (2001).
- Freezing the Company Charter, 79 N.C. L. Rev. 111 (2000).
- The Dark Side of Efficiency: Johnson v. M'Intosh and the Expropriation of Amerindian Lands, 148 U. Pa. L. Rev. 1065 (2000).
- Windfalls, 108 Yale L.J. 1489 (1999).
- The Laws of Complexity & the Complexity of Laws, 49 Rutgers L. Rev. 403 (1997).
- Avoiding Takings "Accidents," 28 U. Rich. L. Rev. 1235 (1994).