James Cutler Professor of Law, Emerita
Areas of Specialization
Corporations; Criminal Law--White Collar Crime; Food and Drug Regulation; Law and Neuroscience; Regulatory Reform: Securities Regulation Law
Business Associations; Securities Regulation; White Collar Crime
Representative Professional Activities and Achievements
Practiced law at Jenner and Block in Chicago (elected to partnership 1982). Joined the faculty in 1985.
Author of articles in the Journal of Corporation Law; The Business Lawyer; and the Wisconsin, North Carolina, Boston University, Arizona, and Southern California law reviews.
Program chair for the 2010-2012 Herbert V. Kelly, Sr. Program for Teaching Excellence. Winner, 2010 Plumeri Award for Teaching Excellence.
Recipient, 2011 Thomas Jefferson Award.
President, ACLU of Virginia 2010-13.
Articles and Book Chapters
- The Year of Magical Thinking: Fraud, Loss, and Grief, 38 Law & Psychol. Rev. 1 (2014).
- Shirking, Opportunism, Self-Delusion and More: The Agency Problem Lives On, 48 Wake Forest L. Rev. 745 (2013). SSRN.
- Tribute Issue, Listening to Victims, 79 Fordham L. Rev. 1479 (2011).
- At the Intersection of Corporate Governance and Environmental Sustainability, 2 Wm. & Mary Bus. L. Rev. 207 (2011).
- Evolutionary Enforcement at the Securities and Exchange Commission, 71 U. Pitt. L. Rev. 403 (2010), reprinted in 52 Corp. Pract. Comm. 817 (Thomson-West 2011) (symposium article). SSRN.
- Deception, Decisions, and Investor Education , 17 Elder L.J. 201 (2009). SSRN.
- Corporate Therapeutics at the Securities and Exchange Commission, 2008 Colum. Bus. L. Rev. 793 (2008). SSRN.
- Narcissism, Over-Optimism, Fear, Anger and Depression: The Interior Lives of Corporate Leaders, 77 U. Cin. L. Rev. 405 (2008) (symposium article). SSRN.
- Post-Tenure Review As If It Mattered, 17 J. Contemp. Legal Issues 297 (2008) (symposium article). SSRN.
- Securities Fraud, Recidivism, and Deterrence , 113 Penn. St. L. Rev. 189 (2008). SSRN.
- Corporate Boards and the New Environmentalism, 31 Wm. & Mary Envtl. L. & Pol'y Rev. 291 (2007) (symposium article).
- Creative Sanctions for Online Investment Fraud, 76 Miss. L.J. 949 (2007) (symposium article).
- More Women on Corporate Boards? Not So Fast, 13 Wm. & Mary J. Women & L. 703 (2007) (symposium article).
- At the Top of the Pyramid: Lessons from the Alpha Women and the "Elite Eight," 65 U. Md. L. Rev. 315 (2006) (symposium article).
- Historical Quirks, Political Opportunism, and the Anti-Loan Provision of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, 31 Ohio N.U. L. Rev. 325 (2005), reprinted in 38 Sec. L. Rev. Ann. 236 (2006) (symposium article).
- Rule 10b-5 and the "Unfitness" Question, 47 Ariz. L. Rev. 9 (2005), reprinted in 47 Corp. Pract. Comm. 855 (2005).
- SEC Debarment of Officers and Directors After Sarbanes-Oxley, 59 Bus. Law. 391 (2004).
- Incremental Bar Admission: Lessons from the Medical Profession, 53 J. Legal. Educ. 340 (2003) (with Mark Greenspan).
- The SEC's Suspension and Bar Powers In Perspective, 76 Tul. L. Rev. 1253 (2002).
- Allocution for Victims of Economic Crimes, 77 Notre Dame L. Rev. 39 (2001). SSRN.
- John Levy: Civil Libertarian, Ethics Guru, Teacher, Mentor, and Man, 43 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 1 (2001).
- Renewable Bar Admission: A Template for Making "Professionalism" Real, 25 J. Legal Prof. 1 (2001).
- John Donaldson: Law Reformer, 42 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 359 (2000).
- Corporate Criminal Liability: A Tool for Corporate Governance Reform, in Proceedings of the International Association for Business and Society (1999).
- Reintegrative Shaming in Corporate Sentencing, 72 S. Cal. L. Rev. 959 (1999).
- The Three-Legged Stool of Corporate Governance Reform, 13 Amicus Curiae 12 (1999) (Journal of the Society for Advanced Legal Studies, London ).
- What is Character? What is Fitness? Who Decides?, VII Educ. & Prac. 5 (1999).
- Reflections on Britain's Research Assessment Exercise, 48 J. Legal Educ. 467 (1998).
- When Wise Men Speak: Comments on the OECD's Corporate Governance Project, Company Secretary, July 1998, at 37 (Hong Kong publication).
- The Hampel Committee Report: A Transatlantic View, Company Law. , Apr. 1998, at 110 (United Kingdom).
- Corporate Philanthropy, Executives' Pet Charities and the Agency Problem, 41 N.Y.L. Sch. L. Rev. 1147 (1997) (symposium article).
- Report of the Task Force on Rule 102(e) Proceedings: Rule 102(e) Sanctions Against Accountants, 52 Bus. Law. 965 (1997) (with Dixie L. Johnson et al.).
- Sovereign Prerogatives, 21 J. Corp. L. 281 (1996).
- How Legal Principles Encourage Irresponsible Corporate Behavior: The Case of Tobacco, 217 in Proceedings of the International Association for Business and Society 217 (1993).
- Private Practice for Public Consumption: Two Views of Corporate Law, 73 B.U. L. Rev. 121 (1993).
- When is a Corporate Executive "Substantially Unfit to Serve"?, 70 N.C. L. Rev. 1489 (1992), reprinted in 25 Sec. L. Rev. Ann. 155-88 (1993).
- Institutional Investors and the New Corporate Governance, 69 N.C. L. Rev. 1135 (1991).
- Time Changes: A Review of To the End of Time: The Seduction and Conquest of a Media Empire, 4 U. Fla. J.L. & Pub. Pol'y 147 (1991) (reviewing Richard M. Clurman, A Review of To the End of Time: The Seduction and Conquest of a Media Empire (1991)) (book review).
- Shareholder Access to the Proxy Revisited, 40 Cath. U. L. Rev. 37 (1990).
- Exxon Collides With The Valdez Principles, 74 Bus. & Soc'y Rev. 32 (1990).
- Giving Voice to Shareholder Choice, 73 Bus. & Soc'y Rev. 15 (1990).
- Executive Loans from Corporate Funds, 17 Sec. Reg. L.J. 257 (1989).
- The Securities Law Enforcement Remedies Act of 1989: Disenfranchising Shareholders in Order to Protect Them, 65 Notre Dame L. Rev. 32 (1989) reprinted in 23 Sec. L. Rev. Ann. 275 (1991) and 33 Corp. Pract. Comm. 507 (1992).
- The Supreme Court and the Shareholder Litigant: Basic, Inc. v. Levinson in Context, 16 Pepp. L. Rev. 985 (1989) (Securities Law Symposium).
- Corporate Loans to Directors and Officers -- Every Business Now a Bank?, ___ Wis. L. Rev. 237 (1988), reprinted in 31 Corp. Pract. Comm. 217 (1989).
- Curbing Management Conflicts of Interest -- The Search for an Effective Deterrent, 40 Rutgers L. Rev. 369 (1988).
- Raiding the Corporate Cookie Jar, 68 Bus. & Soc'y Rev. 56 (1988).
- Referenda and Public Questions, in Election Law (IICLE 1983) (with S. Schenkier).
- Litigation Under Section 14(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, in Course of Study in Litigation Under the Federal Securities Laws (ALI-ABA 1977, 1978, 1981) (with J. Solovy) [2d ed. 1978; 3d ed. 1981].
- Attorneys' Fees in Commercial and Civil Rights Cases, in Problems in Modern Federal Practice (PLI 1979) (with J. Solovy).
- Representing Candidates and Others in Election Litigation, in Attorneys' Guide to Illinois Election Law (IICLE 1977) (with W. Luking).
- Assessment of Clinical Skills in Medicine and Law, B. Examiner, Aug. 2004, at 18.
- Sears Incentives: A Wall Street Parallel, N.Y. Times, Sec. 3, Aug. 30, 1992, at 11.
- Reducing Tenure in the Boardroom, N.Y. Times, Sec. 3, Dec. 22, 1991, at 11.
- Challenge and Change: Perspectives on Central Europe, ___ Wm. & Mary Law. 17 (1990).
- Conflict of Interest in the Board Room -- Misconduct "Market Discipline" Cannot Kill, ___ Wm. & Mary Law. 35 (1988).