Areas of Specialization
Critical Race Theory & Education, U.S. Supreme Court Jurisprudence, American Constitutional Theory, Education & Civil Rights, Black Education in the American South, Education Policy, School Desegregation, and Race & Intercollegiate Athletics.
Representative Professional Activities and Achievements
Jamel K. Donnor is an Associate Professor of Education with affiliations in American Studies, Asian & Pacific Islander American (APIA) Studies, and the Center for Racial and Social Justice at William & Mary. Dr. Donnor’s work on race and inequality in education covers an array of topics, including critical race theory, school desegregation, intercollegiate athletics, and affirmative action in higher education. He has coedited several books including: Scandals in College Sports: Legal, Ethical, and Policy Case Studies, Critical Race Theory in Education: All God's Children Got a Song (2nd, ed,), The Charter School Solution: Distinguishing Fact from Rhetoric, and The Resegregation of Schools: Race and Education in the Twenty-First Century.
- Scandals in College Sports: Legal, Ethical, and Policy Case Studies (Routledge 2017) (with Shaun Harper ed.) (with Shaun Harper). Online.
- Critical Race Theory in Education All God's Children Got a Song, 2nd Edition (Routledge 2nd Edition ed. 2016) (with Celia Anderson)(with Adrienne Dixson, Celia Anderson eds.). Online.
- The Charter School Solution (Routledge 2016) (with Tara Affolter ed.) (with Tara Affolter). Online.
- Sankofa: Looking Back to Move Forward in Critical Race Theory and Education (2016) (with Adrienne Dixson, Celia Anderson eds.) (with Adrienne Dixson & Celia Anderson). Online.
- Is the Post-Racial Still Racial? Understanding the Relationship Between Race and Education (2015) (with Adrienne Dixson, Rema Reynolds eds.) (with Rema Reynolds).
- Scandals in College Sports (Routledge 2015) (with Shaun Harper). Online.
- The Resegregation of Schools: Race and Education in the Twenty-First Century (2013) (with Adrienne Dixson). Online.
- The Education of Black Males in a 'Post-Racial' World (Brown, A. L., & Donnor, J. K. , Routledge 2011) (with Anthony L. Brown). Online.
- Contributed to The Greenwood Dictionary of Education (Greenwood Press 2003).
Articles and Book Chapters
- Cowan, Whiteness, Resistance to Brown, and the Persistence of the Past, Peabody Journal of Education (2017). Online.
- The More Things Change the More They Stay the Same: Race, Education, and Critical Race Theory After 20 Years: An Appraisal, (2017) (with Celia Anderson & Adrienne Dixson).
- Looking underneath the helmet: Understanding the academic expectations of African American male college athletes. , in A Book Chapter in College Athletes’ Rights and Well-Being: Critical Perspectives on Policy and Practice. (Eddie Comeaux, Johns Hopkins University Press 2017). Online.
- Football Memorabilia, Tattoos, and the Fall of Jim Tressel at The Ohio State, in Scandals in College Sports (Shaun R. Harper and Jamel K. Donnor, Routledge: Taylor & Francis 2017) (with Colin William). Online.
- Critical Race Theory and Post-Racial Imaginary., in The Sage Handbook of Qualitative Research (N. K. Denzin & Y. S. Lincoln, Sage Publications 2017) (with Gloria Ladson-Billings). Online.
- Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin and the New White Nationalism, in Critical Race Theory in Education: All God’s Children Got a Song (2nd, ed,) (Dixson, A. D., Rousseau-Anderson, C. K. & Donnor, J. K., Routledge: Taylor & Francis 2016). Online.
- Lies, Myths, Stock Stories, and Other Tropes: Understanding Race and Whites' Policy Preferences in Education, 51 Urban Education (2016). Online.
- Derrick Bell, Brown, and the Continuing Significance of the Interest-Convergence Principle, in Covenant Keeper: Derrick Bell’s Enduring Education Legacy (G. Ladson-Billings & W.F. Tate, Peter Lang 2016). Online.
- Who's Qualified? Seeing Race in Colorblind Times Lessons from Fisher v. University of Texas, in Is the Post-Racial Still Racial?: Understanding the Relationship Between Race and Education (Adrienne Dixson, Rema Reynolds, & Jamel K. Donnor, Teacher College Press 2015).
- Critical Race Theory and the Proliferation of U.S. Charter Schools, 48 Equity & Excellence (Taylor & Francis) (2015) (with Thandeka Chapman). Online.
- National Society for the Study of Education Yearbook: Is the post-racial still racial?: Understanding the relationship between race and education. , in (Dixson, A., Reynolds, R., & Donnor, J.K., Teachers College Record).
- Education as the Property of Whites: African Americans Continued Quest for Good Schools, in Handbook of Critical Race Theory in Education (M. Lynn & A.D. Dixson, Routledge Press 2013). Online.
- The Evidence of Things Seldom Seen: Toward an Understanding of the Educational Choice of African American Male College Athletes, in African American Males and Education: Resarching the Convergence of Race and Identity (M. Christopher Brown II & T. Elon Dancy, Information Age Publishing 2012).
- Whose compelling interest:? The ending of desegregation and the affirming of racial inequality in education, 44 Education and Urban Society (2012). Online.
- Moving beyond Brown: Race in education after Parents v. Seattle School District No. 1, 113 Teachers College Record (2011). Online.
- The race for educational equity: An examination of the meaning of Community Schools v. Seattle School District , 113 Teachers College Record (2011) (with A. D. Dixson & C. K. Rousseau). Online.
- Toward a new narrative on Black males, education, and public policy, Race, Ethnicity and Education. (2011) (with A. L. Brown).
- Education and African American males in post-racial America. Educating Black Males in the Era of Obama, Race, Ethnicity and Education. (2011) (with A. L. Brown).
- Leaving us behind: A political economic interpretation of NCLB and the miseducation of African American males, Summer-Fall Journal of Educational Foundations (2010) (with K. Shockley).
- Culturally Responsive Applications of Computer Technologies in Education: Examples of Best Practice, 46 Educational Technology 9 (2009) (with R. Frederick & L. Hatley).
- The Civil Rights Act of 1964, in Sage encyclopedia of African American Education (K. Lomotey, Sage 2009).
- Waiting for the call: The moral activist role of critical race theory scholarship, in Handbook of Critical and Indigenous Methodologies (N. K. Denzin, Y. S. Lincoln, & L. Tuhiwai Smith, SAGE 2008) (with G. J. Ladson-Billings).
- Sage Encyclopedia of activism and social justice, in (G. L. Anderson & K. Herr, Sage 2007).
- A Different View of Urban Schools: Civil Rights, Critical Race Theory, and Unexplored Realities, Peter Lang (2006). Online.
- The biggest influence in the education of African American football student-athletes, in Critical race theory in education: All God’s children got a song (A. D. Dixson & C. K. Rousseau, Routledge. 2006).
- Equity and technology, in Encyclopedia of education and human development (M. E. Sharpe, Inc. 2005).
- Racialized technology: Computers, commodification, and “cyber-race, in The politics of curriculum change: Race, hegemony and power in education (M. C. Brown & R. R. Land, Peter Lang 2005).
- Towards an interest-convergence in the education of African American football student athletes in major college sports, 8 Race, Ethnicity and Education (2005).
- Waiting for the call: The moral activist role of critical race theory scholarship, in Handbook of qualitative research (Sage 2005) (with G. J. Ladson-Billings).
- Learning from Black folk(s): Race, technology, and society, in (Information Age Publishing 2003).
- The Civil Rights Act of 1964., in Sage encyclopedia of African American Education (Sage 2009).