Home » Faculty » Scholarship » Recent Scholarship
Recent Scholarship (since 2012)
- Culture in Law and Development (Oxford University Press, forthcoming 2013).
- Editor, The Constitutional Law Lectures of John Marshall Harlan (Carolina Academic Press, forthcoming 2013).
- Family Law: Theoretical, Comparative, and Social Science Perspectives (Aspen Publishers 2012)
- Co-author, Criminal Law: Cases and Comments (Found. Press 9th ed. 2013) (with Moenssens, Bacigal, and Ashdown).
- The Wire: Crime, Law, and Policy (Carolina Academic Press 2013).
- Co-author, The Librarian's Copyright Companion (2nd ed., Wm. S. Hein & Co. 2012) (with Paul Hellyer and Ben Keele) (2004).
- Co-author, Criminal Law (7th ed. LexisNexis 2012) (with P. Marcus, & G. Moohr).
- Co-author, The Rights of the Accused Under the Sixth Amendment (ABA Publishing 2012) (with D. Duncan, T. Miller, and J. Moreno).
- Co-editor, Disability Social Rights (with Malcolm Langford, forthcoming Cambridge U. Press 2014).
- Co-editor, Disability and Equality at Work (with Jody Heymann & Gonzalo Moreno, forthcoming Oxford U. Press 2013).
- Co-editor, Disability and Equality Law (with Elizabeth F. Emens, forthcoming Ashgate Publishing 2013).
- The Cosmopolitan First Amendment: Protecting Transborder Expressive and Religious Liberties (Cambridge University Press, forthcoming 2013). SSRN (Part 1).
- The Normative & Historical Cases for Proportional Deportation, ___ Emory J.L. ___ (forthcoming 2013) SSRN.
- The Curious Relationship Between “Self-Deportation” Policies and Naturalization Rates, 16 Lewis & Clark L. Rev. 1149 (2012). SSRN.
- Symposium Issue, Introduction: Noncitizen Participation in the American Polity, 21 Wm. & Mary Bil Rts. J. 333 (2012).
- Symposium Issue, Shirking, Opportunism, Self-Delusion and More: The Agency Problem Today, ___ Wake F. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2013).
- Symposium Issue, The Cooperation Continuum, ___ U. Cin. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2013).
- Symposium, Applying Crawford's Confrontation Right in a Digital Age, 45 Tex. Tech L. Rev. 33 (2012). SSRN.
- eHearsay, 98 Minn. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2013). SSRN.
- Facebook, Twitter, and the Uncertain Future of Present Sense Impressions, 160 U. Pa. L. Rev. 331 (2012). SSRN.
- The Incredible Shrinking Confrontation Clause, 92 B.U. L. Rev. 1865 (2012). SSRN.
- Symposium issue, Rethinking Microfinance, 33 U. Pa. J. Int'l L. 971-996 (2012).
- Informal Institutions and Property Rights, 1 Brigham-Kanner Property Rights Conference Journal 263-279 (2012).
- The Uneasy Case for Deferring Banker Pay, 73 La. L. Rev. __ (forthcoming 2013).
- Legitimizing International Criminal Justice, 33 Mich. J. Int'l L. 321 (2012). SSRN.
- Co-Author, Dicta, Schmicta: Theory Versus Practice in Lower Court Decision-Making, 54 Wm & Mary L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2013) (with David Klein).
- Co-author, The Indefensible Duty to Defend, 112 Colum. L. Rev. 507 (2012) (with Saikrisha Prakash).
- Party Polarization and Judicial Review: Lessons from the Affordable Care Act, 106 Nw. U. L. Rev. 1821 (2012).
- Reverse Advisory Opinions, 80 U. Chi. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2013) (with Saikrishna Prakash).
- The Surprising Role of Racial Hierarchy in the Civil Rights Jurisprudence of the First Justice John Marshall Harlan, 15 U. Pa. J. Const. L. __ (forthcoming 2013).
- Jailing Black Babies, ___ Utah L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2014). SSRN.
- No Accounting for School Vouchers, ___ Wake Forest L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2013) (solicited).
- Co-authored, Promising Protection: 911 Call Records as Foundation for Family Violence Intervention, ___ Ky. L.J. ___ (forthcoming 2013).
- Inter-Country Adoption and the Special Rights Fallacy, ___ U. Pa. J. Int'l L. ___ (forthcoming 2013).
- Parents' Self-Determination and Children's Custody: A New Analytical Framework for State Structuring of Children's Family Life, 54 Ariz. L. Rev. 79 (2012). SSRN.
- The Parental Choice Fallacy in Education Reform Debates, 87 Notre Dame L. Rev. 1837 (2012). (solicited).
- Is Texas Tough on Crime But Soft on Criminal Procedure?, 49 Am. Crim. L. Rev. 31 (2012). SSRN.
- Texting While Drive Meets the Fourth Amendment: Deterring Both Texting and Warrantless Cell Phone Searches, 54 Ariz. L. Rev. 577 (2012). SSRN.
- Law's Dark Matter, 54 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 845 (2013). SSRN.
- Erie's International Effect, 107 Nw.U. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2013).
- The Twin Aims of Erie, 88 Notre Dame L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2013).
- On Hart's Category Mistake, 19 Legal Theory ___ (forthcoming 2013).
- Felix Cohen on Legislation, 7 Legisprudence ___ (forthcoming 2013).
- Was Afrikan Spir a Phenomenalist (and What Difference Does It Make for Understanding Nietzsche)?, 44 Journal of Nietzsche Studies ___ (forthcoming 2013).
- Co-author, Corrections for Racial Disparities in Law Enforcement, 55 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2014) (with Frank A. Sloan & Lindsey M. Eldred). SSRN.
- Co-author, Self-Perception of Disability and Prospects for Employment among U.S. Veterans, ___ WORK ___ (forthcoming 2013) (with Michael Ashley Stein).
- The Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend and Membership in the State’s Political Community, 29 Alaska L. Rev. 79 (2012) (invited submission). SSRN.
- The Exceptions Clause as a Structural Safeguard, 113 Colum. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2013). SSRN.
- The Article II Safeguards of Federal Jurisdiction, 112 Colum. L. Rev. 250 (2012). SSRN.
- Democratic Inclusion, Cognitive Development, and the Age of Electoral Majority, 77 Brook. L. Rev. 1447 (2012).
- The Age of Marital Capacity: Reconsidering Civil Recognition of Adolescent Marriage, 92 B.U. L. Rev. 1817 (2012).
- Dialogues of Authenticity, 58 Stud. L. Pol. & Soc'y ___ (forthcoming 2013).
- The Scope of Trademark Law in the Age of the Brand Persona, 98 Va. L. Rev. in Brief 61 (2012). SSRN.
Allison Orr Larsen
- Factual Precedents, 162 U. Pa. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2013). SSRN.
- Confronting Supreme Court Fact Finding, 98 Va. L. Rev. 1255 (2012). SSRN.
- The Legal Dilemma of Guantánamo Detainees From Bush to Obama, 23 Crim. L. F. 347 (2012).
- Judges Talking To Jurors in Criminal Cases, Why U.S. Judges Do It So Differently From Just About Everyone Else, 30 Az. J. Int'l & Comp. L. ___ (forthcoming 2013).
- Market Power and Contract Formation: How Outmoded Economic Theory Still Distorts Antitrust Doctrine, 88 Notre Dame L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2013).
- Reframing the (False?) Choice Between Purchaser Welfare and Total Welfare: How the Partial Equilibrium Trade-off Model Distorts Normative Antitrust Debate, 81 Fordham L. Rev. 2197 (2013) (invited submission). SSRN.
- Assorted Anti-Leegin Canards: Why Resistance is Misguided and Futile, 40 Fla. St. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2013).
- Competition Policy and the Great Depression: Lessons Learned and a New Way Forward, 23 Cornell J.L. & Pub. Pol'y ___ (forthcoming 2013).
- Standard Oil as Lochner's Trojan Horse, 85 S. Cal. L. Rev. 783 (2012) (invited submission). SSRN.
- Section 2 and the Great Recession: Why Less (Enforcement) Might Mean More (GDP), 80 Fordham L. Rev. 1633 (2012). SSRN.
- Co-author, The Supreme Court's Theory of Private Law, 62 Duke L.J. 1109 (2013) (with Jason Solomon). SSRN.
- Promise and Private Law, 45 Suffolk U. L. Rev. 935 (2012) (solicited).
- Markets as a Moral Foundation for Contract Law, 98 Iowa L. Rev. 183 (2012). SSRN.
- Co-author, The Supreme Court's Theory of Private Law, 62 Duke L.J. 1109 (2013) (with Nathan Oman). SSRN.
- The Political Puzzle of the Civil Jury, 61 Emory L.J. 1331 (2012). SSRN.
- Co-author, Assessing Post-ADA Employment: Some Econometric Evidence and Policy Considerations, 8 J. Empirical Legal Stud 477 (2012) (with John J. Donohue III et al.) (peer-reviewed publication).
- Co-author, Disability Cause Lawyers: Relentless Pragmatism in the Shadow of the Supreme Court, 53 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 1287 (2012) (with Michael E. Waterstone & David B. Wilkins).
- The First Amendment in Trans-Border Perspective: Toward a More Cosmopolitan Orientation, 52 B.C. L. Rev. 941 (2011), reprinted in First Amendment Law Handbook: 2011-2012 Edition (Rodney A. Smolla ed., Thompson/West 2012). SSRN.
- Falsely Shouting Fire in a Global Theater: Emerging Complexities of Trans-Border Expression, 65 Vand. L. Rev. 125 (2012), to be reprinted in First Amendment Law Handbook: 2012-2013 Edition (Rodney A. Smolla ed., Thompson/West 2013)). SSRN.
- Recovering the Assembly Clause, 91 Tex. L. Rev. 375 (2012) (book review).
- The Minimum Content of Natural Contract Law, in Current Issues in Commercial Contracts: Transatlantic Perspectives Conference (Cambridge U. Press 2013).
- Closing the Schoolhouse Doors: State Efforts to Limit K-12 Education for Unauthorized Migrants, in The Resegregation of Schools: Race and Education in the Twenty-First Century (Jamel K. Donnor & Adrienne D. Dixson, eds. forthcoming 2013)
- Regulation of Defense Counsel: An Evolution Toward Restriction and Legitimacy, in The Legacy of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (Bert Swart, Goran Sluiter, and Alexander Zahar eds., Oxford U. Press, 2012).
- Obtaining Guilty Pleas for International Crimes: Prosecutorial Difficulties, in The Prosecutor in Transnational Perspective (Erik Luna and Marianne Wade eds., Oxford U. Press 2012).
- Group Formation and Precedent, in Precedent in the United States Supreme Court ___ (C. J. Peters ed., Springer forthcoming).
- Who Decides?, in The Wellbeing of Children in Theory and Practice (Springer, forthcoming 2013).
- Citizens’ Capital Accounts: A Comment on Contributions, in Exporting the Alaska Model: Adapting the Permanent Fund Dividend for Reform Around the World 225 (Karl Widerquist & Michael Howard eds., 2012).
- Stakeholding Through the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend: Fitting Practice to Theory, in Alaska’s Permanent Fund Dividend: Examining Its Suitability as a Model 157 (Karl Widerquist & Michael Howard eds., 2012). SSRN.
- Human Security and Military Preparedness, in The Law of Adaptation to Climate Change U.S. and International Aspects (M. Gerrard and K. Kuh, American Bar Association 2012).
- Co-author, The Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, in The United Nations and Human Rights: A Critical Appraisal ___ (Philip Alston & Frederic Megret eds., forthcoming 2013) (with Janet E. Lord). SSRN.
- Co-author, Disability Rights, the MDGs and Inclusive Development, in Millennium Development Goals and Human Rights: Past, Present and Future ___ (Malcolm Langford et al. eds., forthcoming 2013) (with Charlotte McClain-Nhlapo & Janet E. Lord).
- Co-author, Equality and Non-Discrimination, in The Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights: A Commentary ___ (Malcolm Langford ed., forthcoming 2013) (with Lilian Chenwi & Rebecca Brown).
- Co-author, Contingent Participation and Coercive Care: Feminist and Communitarian Theories Consider Disability and Legal Capacity, in Coercive Care: Law and Policy ___ (Bernadette McSherry & Ian Freckelton eds., forthcoming 2013) (with Janet E. Lord).
- Co-author, Accessing Socio-Economic Rights: The Rights of Persons with Disabilities, in Equality and Socio-Economic Rights: International Law in Theory and Practice ___ (Malcolm Langford & Eibe Reidel eds., forthcoming 2013) (with Janet E. Lord). SSRN.
- Co-author, Equal Access to Health Care under the UN Disability Rights Convention, in Medicine and Social Justice: Essays on Distribution and Care 245 (Rosamond Rhodes et al. eds., 2012) (with Janet E. Lord & Dorothy Weiss).
- Co-author, General Provisions Dealing with Equality, in Routledge Handbook of Constitutional Law ___ (Mark Tushnet et al. eds., 2012) (with Brun-Otto Bryde).
- Co-author, The United States, Disability Law and Policy, and the CRPD, in On the Road to Inclusion: Implementing the UNCRPD in G20 Countries 319 (Helmut Reifeld & Maria Michalk eds., 2012) (with Janet E. Lord).
- Co-author, Introduction, in Disability and Equality Law ___ (Elizabeth F. Emens & Michael Ashley Stein eds., 2012) (with Elizabeth F. Emens).
- Co-author, Participation in International Agreements as Transformative Social Change: The UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, in Making Rights Real 27 (Jody Heymann & Adele Cassola eds., 2012) (with Janet E. Lord).