Recent and Forthcoming Scholarship
Peter A. Alces
- Monograph, The Normative Intersection of Law and Neuroscience (The University of Chicago Press, under contract).
- The Virginia and Federal Rules of Evidence: A Concise Comparison with Commentary (2015). Online.
Evan J. Criddle
- International Law and the Fiduciary Constitution of Sovereignty (Oxford University Press, forthcoming) (with Evan Fox-Decent).
- Co-author, The Company They Keep: How Partisan Divisions Came to the Supreme Court (Oxford U. Press in progress) (with Lawrence Baum).
- History and Philosophy of Homeschooling (University of Chicago Press, forthcoming 2015) (co-authored).
Adam M. Gershowitz
- Co-author, Criminal Law: Cases and Comments (Found. Press 9th ed. 2013) (with Andre Moenssens, Ronald Bacigal & Gerald Ashdown).
- The Wire: Crime, Law, and Policy (Carolina Academic Press 2013).
- The Oxford Introductions to U.S. Law: Civil Procedure (Oxford University Press, forthcoming).
- Co-author, Employment Discrimination Casebook (Susan Grover ed., Carolina Acad. Press 2d ed. 2013) (with Sandra Sperino & Jarod Gonzalez).
- Co-author, Court-Martial Procedure (expected 2014) (with Francis Gilligan).
- Fundamental Criminal Procedure (expected 2014) [2d ed. 2011; 1st ed. 1999].
- Military Law (expected 2014-2015).
- Co-author, A Modern Approach to Evidence (5th ed. 2013) (with Richard O. Lempert, Samuel R. Gross & James S. Liebman) (in press).
- Excerpts from Basic Advocacy and Litigation in a Technological World (2013) [Desktop published].
Thomas J. McSweeney
- Priests of the Law: Roman Law and the Making of England's First Legal Professionals (in process).
- The Cosmopolitan First Amendment: Protecting Transborder Expressive and Religious Liberties (Cambridge U. Press 2014). Purchase.
Peter A. Alces
- The Death of Consent?, in Comparative Contract Law: British and American Perspectives, Oxford U. Press (forthcoming 2015).
- The Minimum Content of Natural Contract Law, in Current Issues in Commercial Contracts: Transatlantic Perspectives , (Cambridge U. Press 2013).
- The Minimum Content of Natural Contract Law, in Current Issues in Commercial Contracts: Transatlantic Perspectives (Cambridge U. Press 2013), .
Angela M. Banks
- The Normative & Historical Cases for Proportional Deportation, 62 Emory J.L. 1243 (2013). SSRN.
- The Year of Magical Thinking: Fraud, Loss, and Grief, 38 Law & Psychol. Rev. ___ (2014) (forthcoming).
- Shirking, Opportunism, Self-Delusion and More: The Agency Problem Lives On, 48 Wake Forest L. Rev. 745 (2013). SSRN.
- The Right to Remain Armed, ___ Washington Univ. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2015). SSRN.
- Co-author, Trial by Google: Judicial Notice in the Information Age, 108 Nw. U. L. Rev. 1137 (2014) (with Andrew Ferguson). SSRN.
- Attorney Competence in an Age of Plea Bargaining and Econometrics, 12 Ohio St. J. Crim. L. 153 (2014) (peer evaluated). SSRN.
- Symposium, The Case for eHearsay, 83 Fordham L. Rev. 1317 (2014). SSRN.
- The Inverse Relationship between the Constitutionality and Effectiveness of New York City 'Stop and Frisk', 94 B.U. L. Rev. 1495 (2014). SSRN.
- eHearsay, 98 Minn. L. Rev. 7 (2013). SSRN.
- The Governance Function of Constitutional Property, 48 U.C. Davis L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2014-2015). SSRN.
- The Resilience of Property, 55 Ariz. L. Rev. 847 (2013). SSRN.
Eric D. Chason
- Extending the Taxation-of-Risk Model to Timing Options and Market-to-Market Taxes, 32 Va. Tax Rev. 485 (2013).
- The Uneasy Case for Deferring Banker Pay, 73 La. L. Rev. 923 (2013).
- Seeking Inconsistency: Advancing Pluralism in International Criminal Sentencing, ___ Yale J. Int'l L. ___ (forthcoming 2016).
- From Prosecutorial to Reparatory: A Valuable Post-Conflict Change of Focus, 36 Mich. J. Int'l L. 219 (forthcoming 2015).
Evan J. Criddle
- Standing for Human Rights Abroad, 100 Cornell L. Rev. 269 (2015). SSRN.
- Protecting Human Rights During Emergencies: Delegation, Derogation, and Deference, 45 Neth. Y.B. Int'l L. ___ (forthcoming) (invited contribution).
- Against Methodological Stare Decisis, 102 Geo. L.J. 1573 (2014) (with Glen Staszewski). SSRN.
- Humanitarian Financial Intervention, 24 Eur. J. Int'l L. 583 (2013). SSRN.
- Co-author, 'Ideology' or 'Situation Sense'? An Experimental Investigation of Motivated Reasoning and Professional Judgment, 164 U. Pa. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2015) (with Dan Kahan et al.).
- Co-author, 50 States, 50 Attorneys General, and 50 Approaches to the Duty to Defend, 124 Yale L.J. ___ (forthcoming 2015) (with Saikrishna B. Prakash).
- Symposium, Measuring Party Polarization in Congress: Lesson from Congressional Participation as Amicus Curiae, 65 Case West. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2015).
- Co-author, Congress's (Limited) Power to Represent Itself in Court, 99 Cornell L. Rev. 571 (2014) (with Tara Leigh Grove). SSRN.
- Co-author, Dicta, Schmicta: Theory Versus Practice in Lower Court Decision-Making, 54 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 2021 (2013) (with David Klein).
- Co-author, Essay, Reverse Advisory Opinions, 80 U. Chi. L. Rev. 859 (2013) (with Saikrishna Prakash).
Davison M. Douglas
- The Surprising Role of Racial Hierarchy in the Civil Rights Jurisprudence of the First Justice John Marshall Harlan, 15 U. Pa. J. Const. L. 1037 (2013).
- Same-Sex Cynicism and the Self-Defeating Pursuit of Social Acceptance Through Litigation, 68 SMU L. Rev. 1 (2015). SSRN.
- Inter-Country Adoption and the Special Rights Fallacy, 35 U. Pa. J. Int'l L. 189 (2014). SSRN.
- Jailing Black Babies, 2014 Utah L. Rev. 465 (2014). SSRN.
- Co-author, Promising Protection: 911 Call Records as Foundation for Family Violence Intervention, 102 Ky. L.J. 49 (2014) (with Linda L. Bryant). SSRN.
- Misused Concepts and Misguided Questions: Fundamental Confusions in Family Law Debates, 4 Int'l J. Jur. Fam. 239 (2013) (peer reviewed).
- Equality Between Adults and Children: Its Meaning, Implications, and Opposition, 2013 Mich. St. L. Rev. 1007 (2013) (symposium article). SSRN.
- Adoptive Couple v. Baby Girl: Erasing the Last Vestiges of Human Property, 93 B.U. L. Rev. Annex 51 (2013) (solicited). SSRN.
- No Accounting for School Vouchers, 48 Wake Forest L. Rev. 361 (2013) (symposium article). SSRN.
Adam M. Gershowitz
- Google Glass While Driving, 47 Ariz. St. L.J. ___ (forthcoming 2015). SSRN.
- Rethinking the Timing of Capital Clemency, 113 Mich. L. Rev. 1 (2014). SSRN.
- Symposium, An NTSB for Capital Punishment, 47 Tex. Tech L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2014). SSRN.
- The Wire as a Gap-Filling Class on Criminal Law and Procedure, 64 J. Legal Educ. 117 (2014). SSRN.
- Why Arizona v. Gant Is the Wrong Solution to the Warrantless Cell Phone Search Problem, 94 B.U. L. Rev. Annex 9 (2014) (solicited). SSRN.
- Seizing a Cell Phone Incident to Arrest: Data Extraction Devices, Faraday Bags, or Aluminum Foil as a Solution to the Warrantless Cell Phone Search Problem, 22 Wm. & Mary Bill Rts. J. 601 (2013). SSRN.
- Symposium, Prediction Theories of Law and the Internal Point of View, ___ San Diego L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming).
- Symposium, Was Afrikan Spir a Phenomenalist (and What Difference Does It Make for Understanding Nietzsche)?, 44 Journal of Nietzsche Studies ___ (forthcoming 2014). SSRN.
- Symposium, Eternal Recurrence in a Neo-Kantian Context, 54 Kriterion: Revista de Filosofia 459 (2014).
- Vertical Power, 48 U.C. Davis L. Rev. 73 (2014). SSRN.
- Erie's International Effect, 107 Nw. U. L. Rev. 1485 (2013) (previously published at 107 Nw. U. L. Rev. Colloquy 165 (2012)). SSRN.
- Symposium, Felix Cohen on Legislation, 1 The Theory and Practice of Legislation 113 (2013).
- Symposium, Law's Dark Matter, 54 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 845 (2013). SSRN.
- Symposium, On Hart's Category Mistake, 19 Legal Theory 347 (2013). SSRN.
- The Twin Aims of Erie, 88 Notre Dame L. Rev. 1865 (2013). SSRN.
- Rethinking Transparency in U.S. Elections, 75 Ohio St. L.J. ___ (forthcoming 2014). SSRN.
- Petitions, Privacy, and Political Obscurity, 85 Temp. L. Rev. 357 (2013). SSRN.
Christopher L. Griffin, Jr.
- Co-author, Self-Perception of Disability and Prospects for Employment Among U.S. Veterans, 50 Work 49 (2015) (with Michael Ashley Stein). SSRN.
- Co-author, Corrections for Racial Disparities in Law Enforcement, 55 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 1365 (2014) (with Frank A. Sloan & Lindsey M. Eldred) (forthcoming 2014). SSRN.
Tara Leigh Grove
- Reconsidering the Political Question Doctrine, 90 N.Y.U. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2015). SSRN.
- Standing Outside of Article III, 162 U. Pa. L. Rev. 1311 (2014). SSRN.
- Co-author, Congress's (Limited) Power to Represent Itself in Court, 99 Cornell L. Rev. 571 (2014) (with Neal Devins). SSRN.
- The Exceptions Clause as a Structural Safeguard, 113 Colum. L. Rev. 929 (2013). SSRN.
- Liberty Without Capacity: Why States Should Ban Adolescent Driving, 48 Ga. L. Rev. 1019 (2014).
- Dialogues of Authenticity, 58 Stud. L. Pol. & Soc'y ___ (forthcoming 2014). SSRN.
- Symposium, Overlapping Intellectual Property Doctrines: Election of Rights versus Selection of Remedies, 17 Stan. Tech. L. Rev. 241 (2013). SSRN.
Darian M. Ibrahim
- Equity Crowdfunding: A Market of Lemons?, 100 Minn. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2016). SSRN.
- Co-author, Delaware's Familiarity, 52 San Diego L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2015) (with Brian Broughman). SSRN.
- Co-author, Delaware Law as Lingua Franca: Theory and Evidence, 57 J. L. & Econ. 865 (2014) (with Brian Broughman & Jesse Fried). SSRN.
- Co-author, Symposium, Law and Entrepreneurial Opportunities, 98 Cornell L. Rev. 1533 (2013) (with D. Gordon Smith). SSRN.
- Should Angel-Backed Start-ups Reject Venture Capital?, 2 Mich. J. Private Equity & Venture Cap. L. 251 (2013). SSRN.
Allison Orr Larsen
- Do Laws Have a Constitutional Shelf Life?, 94 Tex. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2015). SSRN.
- The Trouble with Amicus Facts, 100 Va. L. Rev. 1757 (2014). SSRN.
- Factual Precedents, 162 U. Pa. L. Rev. 59 (2013). SSRN.
- The Responsibility to Protect and Environmental Disasters, ___ Wash. & Lee J. Energy, Climate & Envt. ___ (2014) (forthcoming).
- Co-author, A Tale of Two (and Possibly Three) Atkins: Intellectual Disability and Capital Punishment Twelve Years after The Supreme Court's Creation of a Categorical Bar, 23 Wm. & Mary Bill Rts. J. 393 (2014) (with John H. Blume, Sheri Lynn Johnson & Emily Paavola). SSRN.
- Symposium, Does Atkins Make A Difference In Non-Capital Cases? Should It?, 23 Wm. & Mary Bill Rts. J. 431 (2014). SSRN.
- Judges Talking to Jurors in Criminal Cases: Why U.S. Judges Do It So Differently from Just About Everyone Else, 30 Az. J. Int'l & Comp. L. 1 (2013). SSRN.
Thomas J. McSweeney
- Hengham Magna and Fet Asaver: Two Legal Treatises of the Thirteenth Century, (in process).
- Imagining an Ideal World through a Legal Text: Konungsbók and the Medieval Icelandic Commonwealth, (under review).
- The King's Courts and the King's Soul: Pardoning as Almsgiving in Medieval England, 40 Reading Medieval Studies 159 (2014) (Special Issue, Law's Dominion: Medieval Studies for Paul Hyams 2014) (Academia.edu). SSRN.
- Co-author, Hobby Lobby, Corporate Law, and the Theory of the Firm: Why For-Profit Corporations are RFFA Persons, 127 Harv. L. Rev. F. 273 (2014) (with Nathan B. Oman). SSRN.
- Symposium, Antitrust Federalism and State Restraints of Interstate Commerce: An Essay for Professor Hovenkamp, 100 Iowa L. Rev. ___ (2014) (forthcoming)(invited submission for Centennial Symposium).
- Antitrust, Regulatory Harm, and Economic Liberty, 99 Iowa L. Rev. Bulletin 115 (2014). SSRN.
- Competition Policy and the Great Depression: Lessons Learned and a New Way Forward, 23 Cornell J.L. & Pub. Pol'y 255 (2014). SSRN.
- Robert Bork's Forgotten Role in the Transaction Cost Revolution, 79 Antitrust L.J. 953 (2014) (invited submission). SSRN.
- Assorted Anti-Leegin Canards: Why Resistance is Misguided and Futile, 40 Fla. St. L. Rev. 907 (2013).
- Reframing the (False?) Choice Between Purchaser Welfare and Total Welfare: How the Partial Equilibrium Trade-off Model Distorts Normative Antitrust Debate, 81 Fordham L. Rev. 2197 (2013) (invited submission). SSRN.
- The Market Power Model of Contract Formation: How Outmoded Economic Theory Still Distorts Antitrust Doctrine, 88 Notre Dame L. Rev. 1291 (2013). SSRN.
- International Legal Experience and the Mormon Theology of the State, 1945-2012, 100 Iowa L. Rev. 715 (2015). SSRN.
- Co-author, Hobby Lobby, Corporate Law, and the Theory of the Firm: Why For-Profit Corporations are RFRA Persons, 124 Harv. L. Rev. F. 273 (2014) (with Alan Meese). SSRN.
- A Theory of Civil Liability, 21 Geo. Mason L. Rev. 381 (2014).
- Need for a Law of Church and Market, 64 Duke L.J. Online __ (forthcoming 2015). SSRN.
- Co-author, The Supreme Court's Theory of Private Law, 62 Duke L.J. 1109 (2013) (with Jason M. Solomon). SSRN.
Sarah R. Wasserman Rajec
- Free Trade in Patented Goods: International Exhaustion for Patents, 28 Berkeley Tech. L.J. 317 (2014).
- Evaluating Flexibility in International Patent Law, 65 Hastings L.J. 153 (2013).
- Peer-reviewed, How Predictable Are Environmental Compliance Inspections, 44 Journal of Regulatory Economics.
- Co-author, Peer-reviewed, Management of Hazardous Waste and Contaminated Land, 3 3 Annual Review of Resource Economics 255 (with Hilary Sigman) (forthcoming).
- Peer-reviewed, Will Additional Federal Enforcement Improve the Performance of Pipelines in the U.S.?” , 37 International Review of Law and Economics.
- Peer-reviewed, Do 'Carrots' Work? Examining the Effectiveness of EPA's Compliance Assistance Program, 31 J. Pol'y Analysis & Mgmt. ___ (forthcoming).
- Conflicts Conflicts, (in progress).
- Co-author, Intellectual Priority, (with Dotan Oliar) (in progress).
- The Essential Structure of Property Law, (in progress).
- ABC v. Aereo and the Humble Judge, 9 NYU J.L. Liberty 81 (forthcoming 2015). SSRN.
- Property, Exclusivity, and Jurisdiction, 100 Va. L. Rev. 111 (2014). SSRN.
- Indirect Purchaser Suits and Jurisdictional Competition, ___ Global Competition Rev. ___ (2013). SSRN.
- Property's Constitution, 101 Cal. L. Rev. 277 (2013). SSRN.
- Mental Illness and Danger to Self, 3 Mental Health L. & Pol'y J. 253 (2014). SSRN.
- Rights Speech, 48 U.C. Davis L. Rev. 1 (2014). SSRN.
Angela M. Banks
- Closing the Schoolhouse Doors: State Efforts to Limit K-12 Education for Unauthorized Migrants, in The Resegregation of Schools: Race and Education in the Twenty-First Century (Jamel K. Donnor & Adrienne D. Dixson eds., forthcoming 2013).
Evan J. Criddle
- A Sacred Trust of Civilization: Fiduciary Foundations of International Law, in Philosophical Foundations of Fiduciary Law (Andrew Gold & Paul Miller eds., Oxford U. Press 2014). SSRN.
- Proportionality in Counterinsurgency: Reconciling Human Rights and Humanitarian Law, in Counterinsurgency Law: New Directions in Asymmetric Warfare (William Banks ed., Oxford U. Press 2013).
- The Constitutional Politics of Congress, in Oxford Handbook on the Constitution of the United States (M. Graber, S. Levinson, M. Tushnet eds., Oxford U. Press) (forthcoming).
- Group Formation and Precedent, in Precedent on the United States Supreme Court (C.J. Peters ed., Springer 2014).
- The Moral Basis of Children’s Relational Rights, in The Routledge Handbook of Family Law and Policy (Robert George & John Eekelaar, eds., forthcoming 2014).
- Who Decides?, in The Wellbeing of Children in Theory and Practice (Colin Macleod & Alexander Bagattini eds., Springer, forthcoming 2014).
- Hart on Presuppositions, in Pragmatics and Law (Francesca Poggie & Alessandro Capone eds., Springer, Perspectives on Pragmatics, Philosophy and Psychology Series, forthcoming 2016).
- Co-author, Women and International Environmental Law, in Essentials Readings in Environmental Law: Topics (IUCN Academy of Environmental Law 2014) (with Kang He). Online.
- Co-author, Women, Climate Justice and International Environmental Law, in Essential Readings in Environmental Law: Topics (IUCN Academy of Environmental Law 2014) (with Kang He). Online.
- Education in Los Angeles: Past and Present, in Voices of the Brown Generation: Memories and Reflections of Law Professors (J. Bonnie & M. W. Wigfall eds., Vanderbilt U. Press forthcoming).
Thomas J. McSweeney
- Magna Carta and the Right to Trial by Jury, in Magna Carta: Muse and Mentor (Randy J. Holland ed., Library of Congress' 800th Anniversary Volume 2014).
- Magna Carta, Civil Law, and Canon Law, in Magna Carta and the Rule of Law (Reb Brownell et al. eds., American Bar Association's 800th Anniversary Volume 2014) (Academia.edu). SSRN.
- Between England and France: A Cross-Channel Legal Culture in the Late Thirteenth Century, in Law, Justice, and Governance: New Views on Medieval English Constitutionalism (Richard Kaeuper ed., Brill 2013).