Recent and Forthcoming Scholarship
Peter A. Alces
- Monograph, The Normative Intersection of Law and Neuroscience (The University of Chicago Press, under contract).
- Family Law: Theoretical, Comparative, and Social Science Perspectives (Aspen Publishers 2012).
Adam M. Gershowitz
- Co-author, Criminal Law: Cases and Comments (Found. Press 9th ed. 2013) (with Andre Moenssens, Ronald Bacigal & Gerald Ashdown).
- The Wire: Crime, Law, and Policy (Carolina Academic Press 2013).
- The Oxford Introductions to U.S. Law: Civil Procedure (Oxford University Press, forthcoming).
- Co-author, Employment Discrimination Casebook (Susan Grover ed., Carolina Acad. Press 2d ed. 2013) (with Sandra Sperino & Jarod Gonzalez).
- Co-author, Court-Martial Procedure (expected 2014) (with Francis Gilligan).
- Fundamental Criminal Procedure (expected 2014) [2d ed. 2011; 1st ed. 1999].
- Military Law (expected 2014-2015).
- Co-author, A Modern Approach to Evidence (5th ed. 2013) (with Richard O. Lempert, Samuel R. Gross & James S. Liebman) (in press).
- Excerpts from Basic Advocacy and Litigation in a Technological World (2013) [Desktop published].
- Emanuel Law Outline: Environmental Law (Wolters Kluwer 5th ed. 2013) [4th Edition, 2011; 3d Edition, 295 pp.; 2d Edition, 1103 pp.].
- Co-author, The Rights of the Accused Under the Sixth Amendment (ABA Publishing 2012) (with David K. Duncan, Tommy E. Miller & Joelle Anne Moreno).
Thomas J. McSweeney
- Co-author, Casebook, Islamic Law (with David Powers) (forthcoming).
- Priests of the Law: Roman Law and the Making of England's First Legal Professionals (forthcoming).
- The Cosmopolitan First Amendment: Protecting Transborder Expressive and Religious Liberties (Cambridge U. Press 2013). Purchase.
Angela M. Banks
- The Normative & Historical Cases for Proportional Deportation, 62 Emory J.L. 1243 (2013). SSRN.
- Symposium, Introduction: Noncitizen Participation in the American Polity, 21 Wm. & Mary Bil Rts. J. 333 (2012) (Symposium: Noncitizen Participation in the American Polity).
- The Curious Relationship Between "Self-Deportation" Policies and Naturalization Rates, 16 Lewis & Clark L. Rev. 1149 (2012). SSRN.
- The Year of Magical Thinking: Fraud, Loss, and Grief, 38 Law & Psychol. Rev. ___ (2014) (forthcoming).
- Shirking, Opportunism, Self-Delusion and More: The Agency Problem Lives On, 48 Wake Forest L. Rev. 745 (2013). SSRN.
- The Inverse Relationship between the Constitutionality and Effectiveness of New York City 'Stop and Frisk', 94 B.U. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming). SSRN.
- Co-author, Trial by Google: Judicial Notice in the Information Age, 108 Nw. U. L. Rev. ___ (2014) (with Andrew Ferguson) (forthcoming). SSRN.
- Attorney Competence in an Age of Plea Bargaining … and Econometrics, 12 Ohio St. J. Crim. L. ___ (2014) (forthcoming) (peer evaluated). SSRN.
- eHearsay, 98 Minn. L. Rev. 7 (2013). SSRN.
- Symposium, Applying Crawford's Confrontation Right in a Digital Age, 45 Tex. Tech. L. Rev. 33 (2012). SSRN.
- Facebook, Twitter, and the Uncertain Future of Present Sense Impressions, 160 U. Pa. L. Rev. 331 (2012). SSRN.
- The Incredible Shrinking Confrontation Clause, 92 B.U. L. Rev. 1865 (2012). SSRN.
- The Resilience of Property, 55 Ariz. L. Rev. 847 (2013). SSRN.
Eric D. Chason
- Extending the Taxation-of-Risk Model to Timing Options and Market-to-Market Taxes, 32 Va. Tax Rev. 485 (2013).
- The Uneasy Case for Deferring Banker Pay, 73 La. L. Rev. 923 (2013).
- From Prosecutorial to Reparatory: A Valuable Post-Conflict Change of Focus, ___ Mich. J. Int'l L. ___ (forthcoming 2014).
- Legitimizing International Criminal Justice, 33 Mich. J. Int'l L. 321 (2012). SSRN.
Evan J. Criddle
- Co-author, Against Methodological Stare Decisis, 102 Geo. L.J. ___ (forthcoming 2014) (with Glen Staszewski). SSRN.
- Humanitarian Financial Intervention, 24 Eur. J. Int'l L. 583 (2013) (selected for the inaugural Annual Junior Faculty Forum for International Law). SSRN.
- Co-author, Human Rights, Emergencies, and the Rule of Law, 34 Human Rts. Q. 39 (2012) (with Evan Fox-Decent). SSRN.
- Co-author, Interest Balancing vs. Fiduciary Duty: Two Models for National Security Law, 13 German L.J. 542 (2012) (with Evan Fox-Decent) (ESIL special issue). SSRN.
- Proportionality in Counterinsurgency: A Relational Theory, 87 Notre Dame L. Rev. 1073 (2012). SSRN.
- Co-author, Congress's (Limited) Power to Represent Itself in Court, 99 Cornell L. Rev. 571 (2014) (with Tara Leigh Grove). SSRN.
- Co-author, Dicta, Schmicta: Theory Versus Practice in Lower Court Decision-Making, 54 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 2021 (2013) (with David Klein).
- Co-author, Essay, Reverse Advisory Opinions, 80 U. Chi. L. Rev. 859 (2013) (with Saikrishna Prakash).
- Party Polarization and Judicial Review: Lessons from the Affordable Care Act, 106 Nw. U. L. Rev. 1821 (2012).
- Co-author, The Indefensible Duty to Defend, 112 Colum. L. Rev. 507 (2012) (with Saikrisha Prakash).
- Why Congress Did Not Think About the Constitution When Enacting the Affordable Health Care Act, 106 Nw. U. L. Rev. Colloquy 261 (2012).
Davison M. Douglas
- The Surprising Role of Racial Hierarchy in the Civil Rights Jurisprudence of the First Justice John Marshall Harlan, 15 U. Pa. J. Const. L. 1037 (2013).
- Jailing Black Babies, 2013 Utah L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2014). SSRN.
- Inter-country Adoption and the Special Rights Fallacy, 35 U. Pa. J. Int'l L. ___ (2014) (forthcoming). SSRN.
- Co-author, Promising Protection: 911 Call Records as Foundation for Family Violence Intervention, 102 Ky. L.J. 49 (2014) (with Linda L. Bryant). SSRN.
- Misused Concepts and Misguided Questions: Fundamental Confusions in Family Law Debates, 4 Int'l J. Jur. Fam. ___ (2013) (forthcoming) (peer reviewed).
- Equality Between Adults and Children: Its Meaning, Implications, and Opposition, 2013 Mich. St. L. Rev. 1007 (2013) (symposium article). SSRN.
- Adoptive Couple v. Baby Girl: Erasing the Last Vestiges of Human Property, 93 B.U. L. Rev. Annex 51 (2013) (solicited). SSRN.
- No Accounting for School Vouchers, 48 Wake Forest L. Rev. 361 (2013) (symposium article). SSRN.
- Parents' Self-Determination and Children's Custody: A New Analytical Framework for State Structuring of Children's Family Life, 54 Ariz. L. Rev. 79 (2012). SSRN.
- The Parental Choice Fallacy in Education Reform Debates, 87 Notre Dame L. Rev. 1837 (2012) (symposium article). SSRN.
Adam M. Gershowitz
- Symposium, An NTSB for Capital Punishment, 47 Tex. Tech L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2014). SSRN.
- Rethinking the Timing of Capital Clemency, 113 Mich. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2014). SSRN.
- The Wire as a Gap-Filling Class on Criminal Law and Procedure, 64 J. Legal Educ. ___ (forthcoming 2014). SSRN.
- Why Arizona v. Gant Is the Wrong Solution to the Warrantless Cell Phone Search Problem, 94 B.U. L. Rev. Annex 9 (2014) (solicited). SSRN.
- Seizing a Cell Phone Incident to Arrest: Data Extraction Devices, Faraday Bags, or Aluminum Foil as a Solution to the Warrantless Cell Phone Search Problem, 22 Wm. & Mary Bill Rts. J. 601 (2013). SSRN.
- Is Texas Tough on Crime But Soft on Criminal Procedure?, 49 Am. Crim. L. Rev. 31 (2012). SSRN.
- Texting While Driving Meets the Fourth Amendment: Deterring Both Texting and Warrantless Cell Phone Searches, 54 Ariz. L. Rev. 577 (2012). SSRN.
- Symposium, Prediction Theories of Law and the Internal Point of View, ___ San Diego L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming).
- Vertical Power, 48 UC Davis L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2014).
- Symposium, Was Afrikan Spir a Phenomenalist (and What Difference Does It Make for Understanding Nietzsche)?, 44 Journal of Nietzsche Studies ___ (forthcoming 2014). SSRN.
- Symposium, Eternal Recurrence in a Neo-Kantian Context, 54 Kriterion: Revista de Filosofia 459 (2014).
- Symposium, On Hart's Category Mistake, 19 Legal Theory 347 (2014).
- Erie's International Effect, 107 Nw. U. L. Rev. 1485 (2013) (previously published at 107 Nw. U. L. Rev. Colloquy 165 (2012)). SSRN.
- Symposium, Felix Cohen on Legislation, 1 The Theory and Practice of Legislation 113 (2013).
- Symposium, Law's Dark Matter, 54 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 845 (2013). SSRN.
- The Twin Aims of Erie, 88 Notre Dame L. Rev. 1865 (2013). SSRN.
- Petitions, Privacy, and Political Obscurity, 85 Temp. L. Rev. 357 (2013). SSRN.
- Mediation and Post-Election Litigation: A Way Forward, 27 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 53 (2012). SSRN.
Christopher L. Griffin, Jr.
- Co-author, Corrections for Racial Disparities in Law Enforcement, 55 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. ___ (with Frank A. Sloan & Lindsey M. Eldred) (forthcoming 2014). SSRN.
- Co-author, Self-Perception of Disability and Prospects for Employment Among U.S. Veterans, Work(forthcoming 2014) (with Michael Ashley Stein).
- The Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend and Membership in the State's Political Community, 29 Alaska L. Rev. 79 (2012) (invited). SSRN.
Tara Leigh Grove
- Standing Outside of Article III, 162 U. Pa. L. Rev. 1311 (2014). SSRN.
- Co-author, Congress's (Limited) Power to Represent Itself in Court, 99 Cornell L. Rev. 571 (2014) (with Neal Devins). SSRN.
- The Exceptions Clause as a Structural Safeguard, 113 Colum. L. Rev. 929 (2013). SSRN.
- The Article II Safeguards of Federal Jurisdiction, 112 Colum. L. Rev. 250 (2012). SSRN.
- Liberty Without Capacity: Why States Should Ban Adolescent Driving, 48 Ga. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2014).
- Democratic Inclusion, Cognitive Development, and the Age of Electoral Majority, 77 Brook. L. Rev. 1447 (2012).
- The Age of Marital Capacity: Reconsidering Civil Recognition of Adolescent Marriage, 92 B.U. L. Rev. 1817 (2012).
- Dialogues of Authenticity, 58 Stud. L. Pol. & Soc'y ___ (forthcoming 2014). SSRN.
- Symposium, Overlapping Intellectual Property Doctrines: Election of Rights versus Selection of Remedies, 17 Stan. Tech. L. Rev. 241 (2013). SSRN.
- Symposium, A Name I Call Myself: Creativity and Naming, 2 U.C. Irvine L. Rev. 585 (2012). SSRN.
- The Scope of Trademark Law in the Age of the Brand Persona, 98 Va. L. Rev. In Brief 61 (2012). SSRN.
- Co-author, Delaware Law as Lingua Franca: Theory and Evidence, ___ J. L. & Econ. ___ (forthcoming November 2014) (with Brian Broughman & Jesse Fried).
- Co-author, Symposium, Law and Entrepreneurial Opportunities, 98 Cornell L. Rev. 1533 (2013) (with D. Gordon Smith).
- Should Angel-Backed Start-ups Reject Venture Capital?, 2 Mich. J. Private Equity & Venture Cap. L. 251 (2013).
- Symposium, How Do Start-ups Obtain Their Legal Services?, 2012 Wisc. L. Rev. 333 (2012).
- The New Exit in Venture Capital, 65 Vand. L. Rev. 1 (2012) (lead article).
Allison Orr Larsen
- The Trouble with Amicus Facts, 100 Va. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2014). SSRN.
- Factual Precedents, 162 U. Pa. L. Rev. 59 (2013). SSRN.
- Confronting Supreme Court Fact Finding, 98 Va. L. Rev. 1255 (2012). SSRN.
- The Responsibility to Protect and Environmental Disasters, ___ Wash. & Lee J. Energy, Climate & Envt. ___ (2014) (forthcoming).
- The Legal Dilemma of Guantanamo Detainees from Bush to Obama (Part 2), 23 Crim. L. F. 347 (2012).
- Plea Bargaining: A Comparative Perspective, ___ Wm. & Mary L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2015).
- A Report Card on Atkins, the Empirical Research, ___ Wm. & Mary Bill Rts. J. ___ (2014) (forthcoming).
- Does Atkins Make a Difference in Non-Capital Cases? Should It?, ___ Wm. & Mary Bill Rts. J. ___ (2014) (forthcoming).
- Judges Talking to Jurors in Criminal Cases: Why U.S. Judges Do It So Differently from Just About Everyone Else, 30 Az. J. Int'l & Comp. L. 1 (2013). SSRN.
Thomas J. McSweeney
- Writing Fiction as Law: The Story in the Gragas Manuscripts, (forthcoming).
- English Justices and Roman Jurists: The Civilian Learning Behind England's First Case Law, 84 Temp. L. Rev. 827 (2012).
- Property Before Property: Romanizing the English Law of Land, 60 Buff. L. Rev. 1139 (2012).
- Robert Bork's Forgotten Role in the Transaction Cost Revolution, ___ Antitrust L.J. ___ (forthcoming 2013) (invited submission).
- Co-author, Hobby Lobby, Corporate Law, and the Theory of the Firm: Why For-Profit Corporations are RFFA Persons, 127 Harv. L. Rev. F. 273 (2014) (with Nathan B. Oman). SSRN.
- Antitrust, Regulatory Harm, and Economic Liberty, 99 Iowa L. Rev. Bulletin 115 (2014).
- Competition Policy and the Great Depression: Lessons Learned and a New Way Forward, 23 Cornell J.L. & Pub. Pol'y 255 (2014). SSRN.
- Assorted Anti-Leegin Canards: Why Resistance is Misguided and Futile, 40 Fla. St. L. Rev. 907 (2013).
- Reframing the (False?) Choice Between Purchaser Welfare and Total Welfare: How the Partial Equilibrium Trade-off Model Distorts Normative Antitrust Debate, 81 Fordham L. Rev. 2197 (2013) (invited submission). SSRN.
- The Market Power Model of Contract Formation: How Outmoded Economic Theory Still Distorts Antitrust Doctrine, 88 Notre Dame L. Rev. 1291 (2013). SSRN.
- Section 2 and the Great Recession: Why Less (Enforcement) Might Mean More (GDP), 80 Fordham L. Rev. 1633 (2012). SSRN.
- Standard Oil as Lochner's Trojan Horse, 85 S. Cal. L. Rev. 783 (2012) (invited submission). SSRN.
- International Legal Experience and the Mormon Theology of the State, 1945-2013, 100 Iowa L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2014).
- Co-author, Hobby Lobby, Corporate Law, and the Theory of the Firm: Why For-Profit Corporations are RFRA Persons, 124 Harv. L. Rev. F. 273 (2014) (with Alan Meese). SSRN.
- A Theory of Civil Liability, 21 Geo. Mason L. Rev. 381 (2014).
- Co-author, The Supreme Court's Theory of Private Law, 62 Duke L.J. 1109 (2013) (with Jason M. Solomon). SSRN.
- Markets as a Moral Foundation for Contract Law, 98 Iowa L. Rev. 183 (2012). SSRN.
- Promise and Private Law, 45 Suffolk U. L. Rev. 935 (2012) (solicited).
Sarah R. Wasserman Rajec
- Free Trade in Patented Goods: International Exhaustion for Patents, 28 Berkeley Tech. L.J. 317 (2014).
- Evaluating Flexibility in International Patent Law, 65 Hastings L.J. 153 (2013).
- Regulatory and Judicial Implementaions of Patent Law Flexibilities, 43 Int'l Rev. of Intell. Prop. & Competition L. 245 (2012) (invited essay).
- Tailoring Remedies to Spur Innovation, 61 Am. U. L. Rev. 733 (2012).
- Peer-reviewed, Do 'Carrots' Work? Examining the Effectiveness of EPA's Compliance Assistance Program, __31_ J. Pol'y Analysis & Mgmt. ___ (forthcoming).
- Peer-reviewed, How Predictable Are Environmental Compliance Inspections, 44 Journal of Regulatory Economics.
- Co-author, Peer-reviewed, Management of Hazardous Waste and Contaminated Land, 3 3 Annual Review of Resource Economics 255 (with Hilary Sigman) (forthcoming).
- Peer-reviewed, Will Additional Federal Enforcement Improve the Performance of Pipelines in the U.S.?” , 37 International Review of Law and Economics.
- Private Policing of Environmental Performance: Does it Further Public Goals?, 39 B.C. Envtl. Aff. L. Rev. 73 (2012).
- Conflicts Conflicts, (in progress).
- Indirect Purchaser Suits and Jurisdictional Competition, ___ Global Competition Rev. (December 2013). SSRN.
- Co-author, Intellectual Priority, (with Dotan Oliar) (in progress).
- The Essential Structure of Property Law, (in progress).
- Property, Exclusivity, and Jurisdiction, 100 Va. L. Rev. 111 (2014). SSRN.
- Property's Constitution, 101 Cal. L. Rev. 277 (2013). SSRN.
- Mental Illness and Danger to Self, 3 Mental Health L. & Pol'y J. ___ (forthcoming 2014). SSRN.
- Rights Speech, (forthcoming). SSRN.
- Falsely Shouting Fire in a Global Theater: Emerging Complexities of Trans-Border Expression, 65 Vand. L. Rev. 125 (2012) (to be reprinted in First Amendment Law Handbook: 2012-2013 Edition (Rodney A. Smolla ed., Thompson/West 2013)). SSRN.
- Book Review, Recovering the Assembly Clause, 91 Tex. L. Rev. 375 (2012) (reviewing John D. Inazu, Liberty's Refuge: The Forgotten Freedom of Assembly (2012)).
Peter A. Alces
- The Minimum Content of Natural Contract Law, in Current Issues in Commercial Contracts: Transatlantic Perspectives Conference (Cambridge U. Press 2013).
Angela M. Banks
- Closing the Schoolhouse Doors: State Efforts to Limit K-12 Education for Unauthorized Migrants, in The Resegregation of Schools: Race and Education in the Twenty-First Century (Jamel K. Donnor & Adrienne D. Dixson eds., forthcoming 2013).
- Obtaining Guilty Pleas for International Crimes: Prosecutorial Difficulties, in The Prosecutor in Transnational Perspective (Erik Luna & Marianne Wade eds., Oxford U. Press 2012).
Evan J. Criddle
- A Sacred Trust of Civilization: Fiduciary Foundations of International Law, in Philosophical Foundations of Fiduciary Law (Andrew Gold & Paul Miller eds., Oxford U. Press forthcoming 2013). SSRN.
- Proportionality in Counterinsurgency: Reconciling Human Rights and Humanitarian Law, in Counterinsurgency Law: New Directions in Asymmetric Warfare (William Banks ed., Oxford U. Press 2013).
- Group Formation and Precendent, in Precedent on the United States Supreme Court ___ (Christopher J. Peters ed., Springer forthcoming 2014).
- The Moral Basis of Children’s Relational Rights, in The Routledge Handbook of Family Law and Policy (Robert George & John Eekelaar, eds., forthcoming 2014).
- Who Decides?, in The Wellbeing of Children in Theory and Practice (Colin Macleod & Alexander Bagattini eds., Springer, forthcoming 2014).
- Hart on Presuppositions, in Pragmatics and Law (Francesca Poggie & Alessandro Capone eds., Springer, Perspectives on Pragmatics, Philosophy and Psychology Series, forthcoming 2016).
Christopher L. Griffin, Jr.
- Citizens' Capital Accounts: A Comment on Contributions, in Exporting the Alaska Model: Adapting the Permanent Fund Dividend for Reform Around the World 225 (Karl Widerquist & Michael Howard eds., Palgrave Macmillan 2012).
- Stakeholding Through the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend: Fitting Practice to Theory, in Alaska's Permanent Fund Dividend: Examining Its Suitability as a Model 157 (Karl Widerquist & Michael Howard eds., Palgrave Macmillan 2012). SSRN.
- Human Security and Military Preparedness, in The Law of Adaptation to Climate Change U.S. and International Aspects (M. Gerrard & K. Kuh, eds., American Bar Association 2012).
- Education in Los Angeles: Past and Present, in Voices of the Brown Generation: Memories and Reflections of Law Professors (J. Bonnie & M. W. Wigfall eds., Vanderbilt U. Press forthcoming).
Thomas J. McSweeney
- Magna Carta and Civil Law, in Magna Carta and the Rule of Law (Reb Brownell et al. eds., American Bar Association) (forthcoming 2014).
- Between England and France: A Cross-Channel Legal Culture in the Late Thirteenth Century, in Law, Justice, and Governance: New Views on Medieval English Constitutionalism (Richard Kaeuper ed., Brill 2013).