Recent and Forthcoming Scholarship
Peter A. Alces
- Monograph, The Normative Intersection of Law and Neuroscience (The University of Chicago Press, under contract).
- The Virginia and Federal Rules of Evidence: A Concise Comparison with Commentary (2015). Online.
Evan J. Criddle
- Co-author, Fiduciaries of Humanity: How International Law Constitutes Authority (Oxford U. Press 2016) (with Evan Fox-Decent).
- Human Rights in Emergencies (Cambridge University Press 2016).
- Co-author, The Company They Keep: How Partisan Divisions Came to the Supreme Court (Oxford U. Press in progress) (with Lawrence Baum).
Davison M. Douglas
- The Constitutional Law Lectures of John Marshall Harlan (Carolina Academic Press forthcoming 2014).
- Homeschooling: An Historical and Philosophical Analysis (University of Chicago Press, forthcoming 2016) (co-authored).
- The Oxford Introductions to U.S. Law: Civil Procedure (Oxford University Press, forthcoming).
Eric A. Kades
- The New Feudalism (forthcoming 2017).
- Co-author, Court-Martial Procedure (expected 2014) (with Francis Gilligan).
- Fundamental Criminal Procedure (expected 2014) [2d ed. 2011; 1st ed. 1999].
- Military Law (expected 2014-2015).
- International Environmental Law and World Resources (Thomson/Reuters forthcoming 2016).
- Cruel and Unusual Supreme Court Jurisprudence: The Death Knell for the Death Penalty? (forthcoming 2015).
Thomas J. McSweeney
- Priests of the Law: Roman Law and the Making of England's First Legal Professionals (in process).
- The Cosmopolitan First Amendment: Protecting Transborder Expressive and Religious Liberties (Cambridge U. Press 2014). Purchase.
Peter A. Alces
- The Death of Consent?, in Comparative Contract Law: British and American Perspectives, Oxford U. Press (forthcoming 2015).
- The Right to Remain Armed, 93 Washington Univ. L. Rev. 1 (2015). SSRN.
- Co-author, Trial by Google: Judicial Notice in the Information Age, 108 Nw. U. L. Rev. 1137 (2014) (with Andrew Ferguson). SSRN.
- Attorney Competence in an Age of Plea Bargaining and Econometrics, 12 Ohio St. J. Crim. L. 153 (2014). SSRN.
- Symposium, The Case for eHearsay, 83 Fordham L. Rev. 1317 (2014). SSRN.
- The Inverse Relationship between the Constitutionality and Effectiveness of New York City 'Stop and Frisk', 94 B.U. L. Rev. 1495 (2014). SSRN.
- EAJA Fees for Reasons-and-Bases Remands: The Perspective of a Veterans' Lawyer, Veteran L. Rev. (2015) (Spring).
- In Sight, It Must Be Right: Judicial Review of VA Decisions for Reasons and Bases vs Clear Error, 17 J.L. & Pub. Int. 681 (2014) (University of Richmond).
Aaron-Andrew P. Bruhl
- The Jurisdiction Canon, ___ Vand. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming). SSRN.
- Communicating the Canons: How Lower Courts React When the Supreme Court Changes the Rules of Statutory Interpretation, 100 Minn. L. Rev. 481 (2015). SSRN.
- Following Lower-Court Precedent, 81 U. Chi. L. Rev. 851 (2014). SSRN.
- Measuring Circuit Splits: A Cautionary Note, 3 J. Legal Metrics 361 (2014) (peer-edited). SSRN.
- The Horne Dilemma: Protecting Property's Richness and Frontiers, 75 Md. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2016). SSRN.
- The Governance Function of Constitutional Property, 48 U.C. Davis L. Rev. 1687 (2015). SSRN.
- Grave Crimes and Weak Evidence: A Fact-Finding Evolution in International Criminal Law, 58 Harv. Int'l L.J. ___ (forthcoming 2016). SSRN.
- Seeking Inconsistency: Advancing Pluralism in International Criminal Sentencing, 41 Yale J. Int'l L. 1 (2016). SSRN.
- Book Review, 109 Am. J. Int'l L. 697 (2015) (reviewing W. Michael Reisman & Christina Skinner, Fraudulent Evidence Before Public International Tribunals: The Dirty Stories of International Law (2014)).
- A New Look at Fact-finding at the ICTR: Advances in Judicial Acknowledgement, 26 Crim. L.F. 387 (2015).
- From Prosecutorial to Reparatory: A Valuable Post-Conflict Change of Focus, 36 Mich. J. Int'l L. 219 (2015). SSRN.
Evan J. Criddle
- Customary Constraints on the Use of Force: Article 51 with an American Accent, 29 Leiden J. Int'l L. 67 (2016) (peer review) (with William Banks) (solicited).
- Protecting Human Rights During Emergencies: Delegation, Derogation, and Deference, 45 Neth. Y.B. Int'l L. 197 (2015) (solicited).
- Standing for Human Rights Abroad, 100 Cornell L. Rev. 269 (2015). SSRN.
- Three Grotian Theories of Humanitarian Intervention, 16 Theoretical Inq. L. 473 (2015) (solicited). SSRN.
- Against Methodological Stare Decisis, 102 Geo. L.J. 1573 (2014) (with Glen Staszewski). SSRN.
- Co-author, Split Definitive: How Party Polarization Turned the Supreme Court Into a Partisan Court, (with Lawrence Baum). SSRN.
- Co-author, The Vanishing Common Law Judge?, 165 U. Pa. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming) (with David Klein). SSRN.
- Co-author, The Amicus Machine, 102 Va. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2016) (with Allison Orr Larsen). SSRN.
- Symposium, Rethinking Judicial Minimalism, 69 Vand. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2016). SSRN.
- Co-author, 'Ideology' or 'Situation Sense'? An Experimental Investigation of Motivated Reasoning and Professional Judgment, 164 U. Pa. L. Rev. 349 (2016) (with Dan Kahan et al.).
- Co-author, 50 States, 50 Attorneys General, and 50 Approaches to the Duty to Defend, 124 Yale L.J. 2100 (2015) (with Saikrishna B. Prakash). SSRN.
- Symposium, Measuring Party Polarization in Congress: Lesson from Congressional Participation as Amicus Curiae, 65 Case West. L. Rev. 933 (2015).
- Co-author, Congress's (Limited) Power to Represent Itself in Court, 99 Cornell L. Rev. 571 (2014) (with Tara Leigh Grove). SSRN.
- Religious Schooling and Homeschooling Before and After Hobby Lobby, 2016 U. Ill. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming) (symposium article).
- Same-Sex Cynicism and the Self-Defeating Pursuit of Social Acceptance Through Litigation, 68 SMU L. Rev. 1 (2015). SSRN.
- Inter-country Adoption and the Special Rights Fallacy, 35 U. Pa. J. Int'l L. 189 (2014). SSRN.
- Jailing Black Babies, 2014 Utah L. Rev. 465 (2014). SSRN.
- Co-author, Promising Protection: 911 Call Records as Foundation for Family Violence Intervention, 102 Ky. L.J. 49 (2014) (with Linda L. Bryant). SSRN.
Adam M. Gershowitz
- Consolidating Local Criminal Justice: Should Prosecutors Control the Jails?, 51 Wake Forest L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2016) (symposium).
- Post-Trial Pleas Bargaining in Capital Cases: Using Conditional Commutations to Remove Weak Cases from Death Row, 73 Wash. & Lee L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2016) (symposium).
- The Post-Riley Search Warrant: Search Protocols and Particularity in Cell Phone Searches, 69 Vand. L. Rev. 585 (2016). SSRN.
- Google Glass While Driving, 47 Ariz. St. L.J. 755 (2015). SSRN.
- An NTSB for Capital Punishment, 47 Tex. Tech L. Rev. 151 (2014) (symposium). SSRN.
- Rethinking the Timing of Capital Clemency, 113 Mich. L. Rev. 1 (2014). SSRN.
- The Wire as a Gap-Filling Class on Criminal Law and Procedure, 64 J. Legal Educ. 117 (2014). SSRN.
- Why Arizona v. Gant Is the Wrong Solution to the Warrantless Cell Phone Search Problem, 94 B.U. L. Rev. Annex 9 (2014) (solicited). SSRN.
- Symposium, Prediction Theories of Law and the Internal Point of View, ___ San Diego L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming).
- Symposium, Was Afrikan Spir a Phenomenalist (and What Difference Does It Make for Understanding Nietzsche)?, 44 Journal of Nietzsche Studies ___ (forthcoming 2014). SSRN.
- Symposium, Eternal Recurrence in a Neo-Kantian Context, 54 Kriterion: Revista de Filosofia 459 (2014).
- Vertical Power, 48 U.C. Davis L. Rev. 73 (2014). SSRN.
- Arbitrating Ballot Battles, 103 Ky. L.J. ___ (forthcoming 2016).
- Rethinking Transparency in U.S. Elections, 75 Ohio St. L.J. 779 (2014). SSRN.
Christopher L. Griffin, Jr.
- Explaining ADA Employment Discrimination Charges over the Business Cycle, 83 U. Cin. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2016). SSRN.
- Co-author, Self-Perception of Disability and Prospects for Employment Among U.S. Veterans, 50 Work 49 (2015) (with Michael Ashley Stein). SSRN.
- Co-author, Corrections for Racial Disparities in Law Enforcement, 55 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 1365 (2014) (with Frank A. Sloan & Lindsey M. Eldred). SSRN.
Tara Leigh Grove
- When Can a State Sue the United States?, 101 Cornell L. Rev. 851 (2016). SSRN.
- The Lost History of the Political Question Doctrine, 90 N.Y.U. L. Rev. 1908 (2015). SSRN.
- Standing Outside of Article III, 162 U. Pa. L. Rev. 1311 (2014). SSRN.
- Co-author, Congress's (Limited) Power to Represent Itself in Court, 99 Cornell L. Rev. 571 (2014) (with Neal Devins). SSRN.
- Liberty Without Capacity: Why States Should Ban Adolescent Driving, 48 Ga. L. Rev. 1019 (2014).
- Dialogues of Authenticity, 58 Stud. L. Pol. & Soc'y 25 (2015). SSRN.
Darian M. Ibrahim
- Intrapreneurship, 73 Wash. & Lee L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2016). SSRN.
- Equity Crowdfunding: A Market of Lemons?, 100 Minn. L. Rev. 561 (2015). SSRN.
- Co-author, Delaware's Familiarity, 52 San Diego L. Rev. 271 (2015) (with Brian Broughman). SSRN.
- Co-author, Delaware Law as Lingua Franca: Theory and Evidence, 57 J. L. & Econ. 865 (2014) (with Brian Broughman & Jesse Fried). SSRN.
Eric A. Kades
- Corrective Progressivity, (forthcoming 2016).
- Giving Credit Where Credit is Due: Reducing Inequity with a Progressive State Tax Credit, (forthcoming 2016).
Allison Orr Larsen
- Co-author, The Amicus Machine, 102 Va. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2016) (with Neal E. Devins). SSRN.
- Do Laws Have a Constitutional Shelf Life?, 94 Tex. L. Rev. 59 (2015). SSRN.
- The Trouble with Amicus Facts, 100 Va. L. Rev. 1757 (2014). SSRN.
- Environmental Justice Reimagined Through Human Security and Post-Modern Ecological Feminism: A Neglected Perspective on Climate Change, 38 Fordham Int'l L. Rev. 1445 (2015). SSRN.
- Maturing Justice: Integrating the Convention on the Rights of the Child into the Judgments and Processes of the International Criminal Court, 43 Ga. J. Int'l & Comp. L. ___ (forthcoming 2015). SSRN.
- The United States Supreme Court [Mostly] Gives up its Review Role with Ineffective Assistance of Counsel Cases, 100 Minn. L. Rev. 1745 (2016).
- A Comparative Look at Plea Bargaining in Australia, Canada, England, New Zealand and the United States, 57 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 1147 (2016) (with others). SSRN.
- Fighting Corruption in the United States, Fed. U. Rio Grande do Sul (2015) (translated into Portuguese).
- The Crime of Conspiracy Thrives in Decisions of the United States Supreme Court, 64 Kan. L. Rev. 373 (2015).
- Co-author, A Tale of Two (and Possibly Three) Atkins: Intellectual Disability and Capital Punishment Twelve Years after The Supreme Court's Creation of a Categorical Bar, 23 Wm. & Mary Bill Rts. J. 393 (2014) (with John H. Blume, Sheri Lynn Johnson & Emily Paavola). SSRN.
- Symposium, Does Atkins Make A Difference In Non-Capital Cases? Should It?, 23 Wm. & Mary Bill Rts. J. 431 (2014). SSRN.
Thomas J. McSweeney
- Hengham Magna and Fet Asaver: Two Legal Treatises of the Thirteenth Century, (in process).
- Imagining an Ideal World through a Legal Text: Konungsbók and the Medieval Icelandic Commonwealth, (under review).
- The King's Courts and the King's Soul: Pardoning as Almsgiving in Medieval England, 40 Reading Medieval Studies 159 (2014) (Special Issue, Law's Dominion: Medieval Studies for Paul Hyams 2014) (Academia.edu). SSRN.
- In Praise of All or Nothing Dichotomous Categories: Why Antitrust Law Should Reject the Quick Look, 104 Geo. L.J. 835 (2016). SSRN.
- Symposium, Antitrust Federalism and State Restraints of Interstate Commerce: An Essay for Professor Hovenkamp, 100 Iowa L. Rev. 2161 (2015) (invited submission for Centennial Symposium). SSRN.
- Co-author, Hobby Lobby, Corporate Law, and the Theory of the Firm: Why For-Profit Corporations are RFFA Persons, 127 Harv. L. Rev. F. 273 (2014) (with Nathan B. Oman). SSRN.
- Antitrust, Regulatory Harm, and Economic Liberty, 99 Iowa L. Rev. Bulletin 115 (2014). SSRN.
- Competition Policy and the Great Depression: Lessons Learned and a New Way Forward, 23 Cornell J.L. & Pub. Pol'y 255 (2014). SSRN.
- Robert Bork's Forgotten Role in the Transaction Cost Revolution, 79 Antitrust L.J. 953 (2014) (invited submission). SSRN.
- Doux Commerce, Religion, and the Limits of Antidiscrimination Law, 92 Ind. L.J. ___ (forthcoming 2016). SSRN.
- International Legal Experience and the Mormon Theology of the State, 1945-2012, 100 Iowa L. Rev. 715 (2015). SSRN.
- Co-author, Hobby Lobby, Corporate Law, and the Theory of the Firm: Why For-Profit Corporations are RFRA Persons, 124 Harv. L. Rev. F. 273 (2014) (with Alan Meese). SSRN.
- A Theory of Civil Liability, 21 Geo. Mason L. Rev. 381 (2014).
- Need for a Law of Church and Market, 64 Duke L.J. Online __ (forthcoming 2015). SSRN.
Sarah R. Wasserman Rajec
- Patents Absent Adversaries, ___ Brook. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2016). SSRN.
- The Intellectual Property Hostage in Trade Retaliation, ___ Md. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2016).
- Free Trade in Patented Goods: International Exhaustion for Patents, 28 Berkeley Tech. L.J. 317 (2014). SSRN.
- Post-9/11 Veterans: Welcoming Them Home as Colleagues and Clients, 45 U. Memphis L. Rev. 45 (2015) (symposium). SSRN.
- From the 'War on Poverty' to Pro Bono: Access to Justice Remains Elusive for Too Many, Including Our Veterans, 34 B.C. J.L. & Soc. Just. 341 (2014). SSRN.
- Peer-reviewed, Do 'Carrots' Work? Examining the Effectiveness of EPA's Compliance Assistance Program, 31 J. Pol'y Analysis & Mgmt. ___ (forthcoming).
- Peer-reviewed, How Predictable Are Environmental Compliance Inspections, 44 Journal of Regulatory Economics 361.
- Co-author, Peer-reviewed, Management of Hazardous Waste and Contaminated Land, 3 Annual Review of Resource Economics 255 (with Hilary Sigman) (forthcoming).
- Peer-reviewed, Will Additional Federal Enforcement Improve the Performance of Pipelines in the U.S.?” , 37 Int'l Rev. L. & Econ. 137 (2014).
- Intellectual Property and the Myth of Non-rivalry, working paper.
- Intellectual Possession, working paper (with Dotan Oliar).
- The Essential Structure of Property Law, 115 Mich. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2016). SSRN.
- The Positive Law Model of the Fourth Amendment, 129 Harv. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2016) (with William Baude). SSRN.
- Property, Exclusivity, and Jurisdiction, 100 Va. L. Rev. 111 (2014). SSRN.
- A Criminal Law Model for Adjudicating Sexual Assault on Campus, (forthcoming 2016).
- "Stand Your Ground" and Self Defense, 42 Am. J. Crim. L. 89 (2015). SSRN.
- Mental Illness and Danger to Self, 3 Mental Health L. & Pol'y J. 253 (2014). SSRN.
- Rights Dynamism, (working paper). SSRN.
- The Dynamic Relationship Between Freedom of Expression and Equality, (working paper). SSRN.
- First Amendment Cosmopolitanism, Skepticism, and Democracy, 76 Ohio St. L.J. 705 (2015). SSRN.
- Professional Rights Speech, 47 Ariz. St. L.J. 1289 (2015). SSRN.
- Rights Speech, 48 U.C. Davis L. Rev. 1 (2014) (to be reprinted in First Amendment Law Handbook: 2015-2016 Edition (Rodney A. Smolla ed., Thompson/West 2016)). SSRN.
Angela M. Banks
- Closing the Schoolhouse Doors: State Efforts to Limit K-12 Education for Unauthorized Migrants, in The Resegregation of Schools: Race and Education in the Twenty-First Century (Jamel K. Donnor & Adrienne D. Dixson eds., forthcoming 2013).
- The ICTR's Evidentiary System, in Elgar Companion to the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) (Anne-Marie de Brouwer and Alette Smeulers, eds. forthcoming 2016).
Evan J. Criddle
- Introduction: Testing Human Rights Theory During Emergencies, in Human Rights in Emergencies (Cambridge U. Press 2016).
- Protecting Human Rights in Emergencies: Delegation, Derogation, and Deference, in Human Rights in Emergencies (Cambridge U. Press 2016).
- A Sacred Trust of Civilization: Fiduciary Foundations of International Law, in Philosophical Foundations of Fiduciary Law (Andrew Gold & Paul Miller eds., Oxford U. Press 2014). SSRN.
- The Constitutional Politics of Congress, in Oxford Handbook on the Constitution of the United States (M. Graber, S. Levinson, M. Tushnet eds., Oxford U. Press) (forthcoming).
- Group Formation and Precedent, in Precedent on the United States Supreme Court (C.J. Peters ed., Springer 2014).
- Regulating Child Rearing in a Culturally Diverse Society, in Philosophical Foundations of Chidren's and Family Law (Elizabeth Brake and Lucinda Ferguson, eds., Oxford U. Press, forthcoming 2016).
- The Easiest Acoommodation: Abandoning Other People's Children to Their Parents' Religion, in Divorcing Marriage from the State (RobinFretwell Wilson, ed., Cambridge U. Press, forthcoming).
- The Moral Status of Children and Adults, in Routledge Handbook of the Philosophy of Childhood and Children (forthcoming 2016) (Gideon Calder, et al., eds.).
- Speaking Truth With and For Children, in Denialism and Human Rights (Jan Willems, Hans Nelen and Roland Moerland, eds., Intersentia 2015).
- Hart on Presuppositions, in Pragmatics and Law (Francesca Poggie & Alessandro Capone eds., Springer, Perspectives on Pragmatics, Philosophy and Psychology Series, forthcoming 2016).
- Co-author, International Environmental Law in U.S. Courts, in ASIL Judicial Benchbook on International Law (Diane Amman, ed. forthcoming 2015) (with Anastasia Telesetsky). Online.
- Co-author, Women and International Environmental Law, in Essentials Readings in Environmental Law: Topics (IUCN Academy of Environmental Law 2014) (with Kang He). Online.
- Co-author, Women, Climate Justice and International Environmental Law, in Essential Readings in Environmental Law: Topics (IUCN Academy of Environmental Law 2014) (with Kang He). Online.
- Education in Los Angeles: Past and Present, in Voices of the Brown Generation: Memories and Reflections of Law Professors (J. Bonnie & M. W. Wigfall eds., Vanderbilt U. Press forthcoming).
Thomas J. McSweeney
- Magna Carta and the Right to Trial by Jury, in Magna Carta: Muse and Mentor (Randy J. Holland ed., Library of Congress' 800th Anniversary Volume 2014).
- Magna Carta, Civil Law, and Canon Law, in Magna Carta and the Rule of Law (Reb Brownell et al. eds., American Bar Association's 800th Anniversary Volume 2014) (Academia.edu). SSRN.
- Sovereignty, Territoriality, and the Enforcement of Foreign Judgments, in Foreign Court Judgments and the United States Legal System 13 (Paul Stehan ed., 2014) (with George Rutherglen). SSRN.