Recent and Forthcoming Scholarship
Peter A. Alces
- Monograph, The Moral Conflict of Law and Neuroscience (The University of Chicago Press, forthcoming 2017).
- Co-author, Treatise, Hearsay, vol. 30, in Federal Practice & Procedure (forthcoming 2017) (with Charles A. Wright).
- The Virginia and Federal Rules of Evidence: A Concise Comparison with Commentary (2015). Online.
Evan J. Criddle
- Co-editor, Fiduciary Government (Evan J. Criddle, Evan Fox-Decent, Sung Hui Kim, Paul B. Miller, Andrew S. Gold eds., Cambridge U. Press, forthcoming 2018).
- Co-editor, The Oxford Handbook of Fiduciary Law (Evan J. Criddle, Paul B. Miller, Robert H. Sitkoff eds., Oxford U. Press, forthcoming 2018).
- Co-author, Fiduciaries of Humanity: How International Law Constitutes Authority (Oxford U. Press 2016) (with Evan Fox-Decent). SSRN.
- Editor, Human Rights in Emergencies (Cambridge University Press 2016).
- Co-author, The Company They Keep: How Partisan Divisions Came to the Supreme Court (Oxford U. Press in progress) (with Lawrence Baum).
Davison M. Douglas
- Editor, The Constitutional Law Lectures of John Marshall Harlan (Carolina Academic Press, forthcoming 2017).
- Virginia Wills, Trusts, & Estates: Code, Cases, Commentary (KAMSET Press 2016).
- Homeschooling: An Historical and Philosophical Analysis (University of Chicago Press, forthcoming 2016) (co-authored).
Adam M. Gershowitz
- Co-author, Criminal Law: Cases and Comments (Found. Press 10th ed., forthcoming 2017) (with Andre A. Moenssens, Ronald J. Bacigal & Gerald G. Ashdown) (9th Edition 2013).
Michael S. Green
- The Oxford Introductions to U.S. Law: Civil Procedure (Oxford University Press, forthcoming).
Eric A. Kades
- The New Feudalism (forthcoming 2017).
- Fundamental Criminal Procedure (Desktop publishing 2016) [2d ed. 2011; 1st ed. 1999].
- International Environmental Law and World Resources (Thomson/Reuters forthcoming 2017).
Thomas J. McSweeney
- Priests of the Law: Roman Law and the Making of England's First Legal Professionals (in process).
- The Dignity of Commerce: Markets and the Moral Foundations of Contract Law (Chicago University Press, forthcoming 2016).
- The Dynamic Free Speech Clause: Freedom of Speech and Its Relation to Other Constitutional Rights (under contract with Oxford U. Press, forthcoming 2018).
Peter A. Alces
- Neuroscience Changes More Than Your Mind Can Think, 2017 U. Ill. J.L. Tech. & Pol'y ___ (forthcoming) (with Paul S. Davies).
- The Death of Consent?, in Comparative Contract Law: British and American Perspectives, Oxford U. Press 2015.
- The Right to Remain Armed, 93 Washington Univ. L. Rev. 1 (2015). SSRN.
- Co-author, Now is the Time: Experts vs. the Uninitiated as Future Nominees to the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, 25 Fed. Cir. Bar. J. 371 (2016) (with Bradley W. Hennings & Jennifer Rickman White).
- EAJA Fees for Reasons-and-Bases Remands: The Perspective of a Veterans' Lawyer, 7 Veteran L. Rev. 1 (2015) (Spring).
Aaron-Andrew P. Bruhl
- Our Good Plaintiff is Not Enough, ___ Duke L.J. ___ (forthcoming). SSRN.
- The Jurisdiction Canon, ___ Vand. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming). SSRN.
- Communicating the Canons: How Lower Courts React When the Supreme Court Changes the Rules of Statutory Interpretation, 100 Minn. L. Rev. 481 (2015). SSRN.
- The Horne Dilemma: Protecting Property's Richness and Frontiers, 75 Md. L. Rev. 787 (2016). SSRN.
- The Governance Function of Constitutional Property, 48 U.C. Davis L. Rev. 1687 (2015). SSRN.
Eric D. Chason
- Taxing Losers, 18 Fla. Tax Rev. 541 (2016).
- Grave Crimes and Weak Evidence: A Fact-Finding Evolution in International Criminal Law, 58 Harv. Int'l L.J. ___ (forthcoming 2016). SSRN.
- Seeking Inconsistency: Advancing Pluralism in International Criminal Sentencing, 41 Yale J. Int'l L. 1 (2016). SSRN.
- Book Review, 109 Am. J. Int'l L. 697 (2015) (reviewing W. Michael Reisman & Christina Skinner, Fraudulent Evidence Before Public International Tribunals: The Dirty Stories of International Law (2014)).
- A New Look at Fact-finding at the ICTR: Advances in Judicial Acknowledgement, 26 Crim. L.F. 387 (2015).
- From Prosecutorial to Reparatory: A Valuable Post-Conflict Change of Focus, 36 Mich. J. Int'l L. 219 (2015). SSRN.
Evan J. Criddle
- Liberty in Loyalty: A Republican Theory of Fiduciary Law, 95 Tex. L. Rev. ____ (forthcoming 2017).
- Customary Constraints on the Use of Force: Article 51 with an American Accent, 29 Leiden J. Int'l L. 67 (2016) (peer review) (with William Banks) (solicited). SSRN.
- Co-author, Keeping the Promise of Public Fiduciary Theory: A Reply to Leib and Galoob, 126 Yale L.J. F. 195 (2016) (with Evan Fox-Decent). SSRN.
- The Constitution of Agency Statutory Interpretation, 69 Vand. L. Rev. En Banc 325 (2016) (solicited). SSRN.
- Protecting Human Rights During Emergencies: Delegation, Derogation, and Deference, 45 Neth. Y.B. Int'l L. 197 (2015) (solicited).
- Standing for Human Rights Abroad, 100 Cornell L. Rev. 269 (2015). SSRN.
- Three Grotian Theories of Humanitarian Intervention, 16 Theoretical Inq. L. 473 (2015) (solicited). SSRN.
- Co-author, Split Definitive: How Party Polarization Turned the Supreme Court Into a Partisan Court, 2016 Sup. Ct. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2017) (with Lawrence Baum). SSRN.
- Symposium, Why Congress Does Not Challenge Judicial Supremacy, 58 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming). SSRN.
- Co-author, The Vanishing Common Law Judge?, 165 U. Pa. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming) (with David Klein). SSRN.
- Symposium, Rethinking Judicial Minimalism: Abortion Politics, Party Polarization, and the Consequences of Returning the Constitution to Elected Government, 69 Vand. L. Rev. 935 (2016). SSRN.
- Co-author, The Amicus Machine, 102 Va. L. Rev. 1901 (2016) (with Allison Orr Larsen). SSRN.
- Co-author, 'Ideology' or 'Situation Sense'? An Experimental Investigation of Motivated Reasoning and Professional Judgment, 64 U. Pa. L. Rev. 349 (2016) (with Dan Kahan et al.). SSRN.
- Co-author, 50 States, 50 Attorneys General, and 50 Approaches to the Duty to Defend, 124 Yale L.J. 2100 (2015) (with Saikrishna B. Prakash). SSRN.
- Symposium, Measuring Party Polarization in Congress: Lesson from Congressional Participation as Amicus Curiae, 65 Case West. L. Rev. 933 (2015).
- Religious Schooling and Homeschooling Before and After Hobby Lobby, 2016 U. Ill. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming) (symposium article).
- Same-Sex Cynicism and the Self-Defeating Pursuit of Social Acceptance Through Litigation, 68 SMU L. Rev. 1 (2015). SSRN.
Adam M. Gershowitz
- Consolidating Local Criminal Justice: Should Prosecutors Control the Jails?, 51 Wake Forest L. Rev. 677 (2016) (symposium). SSRN.
- Post-Trial Pleas Bargaining in Capital Cases: Using Conditional Commutations to Remove Weak Cases from Death Row, 73 Wash. & Lee L. Rev. 1359 (2016) (symposium). SSRN.
- The Post-Riley Search Warrant: Search Protocols and Particularity in Cell Phone Searches, 69 Vand. L. Rev. 585 (2016). SSRN.
- Google Glass While Driving, 47 Ariz. St. L.J. 755 (2015). SSRN.
Michael S. Green
- The Return of the Unprovided-For Case, 49 Ga. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming).
- Essay, L'américanisation de Kelsen, in Un classique méconnu: Hans Kelsen, (Thomas Hochmann, Xavier Magnon, & Régis Ponsard eds., forthcoming).
- Essay, Legal Monism: An American History, in Vienna Lectures on Law and Philosophy, (Hart Publishing, forthcoming).
- Essay, Logic and Legal Realism, in Research Handbook in Law and Logic, (Dieter Krimphove & Florian Simon eds., Duncker & Humblot, forthcoming).
- Essay, A Puzzle about Hart's Theory of Internal Legal Statements, in Pragmatics and Law, (Francesca Poggi & Alessandro Capone eds., Springer Verlag 2017) 195. SSRN.
- Essay, Marmor’s Kelsen, in Hans Kelsen in America , (D. A. Jeremy Telman ed., Springer Verlag 2016). SSRN.
- Symposium, Was Afrikan Spir a Phenomenalist? And What Difference Does It Make for Understanding Nietzsche?, 44 Journal of Nietzsche Studies (2015). SSRN.
- Arbitrating Ballot Battles, 103 Ky. L.J. ___ (forthcoming 2016).
Tara Leigh Grove
- When Can a State Sue the United States?, 101 Cornell L. Rev. 851 (2016). SSRN.
- The Lost History of the Political Question Doctrine, 90 N.Y.U. L. Rev. 1908 (2015). SSRN.
- Adulthood in Law and Culture, 91 Tulane L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2016).
- Dialogues of Authenticity, 58 Stud. L. Pol. & Soc'y 25 (2015). SSRN.
Darian M. Ibrahim
- Crowdfunding Without the Crowd, 95 N.C. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2017). SSRN.
- Intrapreneurship, 73 Wash. & Lee L. Rev. 1741 (2016). SSRN.
- Equity Crowdfunding: A Market of Lemons?, 100 Minn. L. Rev. 561 (2015). SSRN.
- Co-author, Delaware's Familiarity, 52 San Diego L. Rev. 271 (2015) (with Brian Broughman). SSRN.
Eric A. Kades
- Corrective Progressivity, (forthcoming 2016).
- Giving Credit Where Credit is Due: Reducing Inequity with a Progressive State Tax Credit, La. L. Rev. (forthcoming 2016).
Allison Orr Larsen
- Co-author, The Amicus Machine, 102 Va. L. Rev. 1901 (2016) (with Neal E. Devins). SSRN.
- Do Laws Have a Constitutional Shelf Life?, 94 Tex. L. Rev. 59 (2015). SSRN.
- The Death Knell for the Death Penalty and the Significance of Global Realism to its Abolition from Glossip v. Gross to Brumfield v. Cain, 11 Duke J. Const. L. & Pub. Pol'y 75 (2016). SSRN.
- Environmental Justice Reimagined Through Human Security and Post-Modern Ecological Feminism: A Neglected Perspective on Climate Change, 38 Fordham Int'l L. Rev. 1445 (2015). SSRN.
- Maturing Justice: Integrating the Convention on the Rights of the Child into the Judgments and Processes of the International Criminal Court, 43 Ga. J. Int'l & Comp. L. 599 (2015). SSRN.
- The United States Supreme Court [Mostly] Gives up its Review Role with Ineffective Assistance of Counsel Cases, 100 Minn. L. Rev. 1745 (2016).
- A Comparative Look at Plea Bargaining in Australia, Canada, England, New Zealand and the United States, 57 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 1147 (2016) (with others). SSRN.
- Fighting Corruption in the United States, Fed. U. Rio Grande do Sul (2015) (translated into Portuguese).
- The Crime of Conspiracy Thrives in Decisions of the United States Supreme Court, 64 Kan. L. Rev. 373 (2015).
Thomas J. McSweeney
- Creating a Literature for the King’s Courts in the Later Thirteenth Century: Hengham Magna, Fet Asaver, and Bracton, 37 J. Leg. Hist. 41 (2016). Online.
- Salvation by Statute: Magna Carta, Legislation, and the King's Soul, 25 Wm. & Mary Bill Rts. J. (forthcoming, December 2016).
- Imagining an Ideal World Through a Legal Text: Konungsbók and the Medieval Icelandic Commonwealth, in process.
- In Praise of All or Nothing Dichotomous Categories: Why Antitrust Law Should Reject the Quick Look, 104 Geo. L.J. 835 (2016). SSRN.
- Symposium, Antitrust Federalism and State Restraints of Interstate Commerce: An Essay for Professor Hovenkamp, 100 Iowa L. Rev. 2161 (2015) (invited submission for Centennial Symposium). SSRN.
- Doux Commerce, Religion, and the Limits of Antidiscrimination Law, 92 Ind. L.J. ___ (forthcoming 2016). SSRN.
- International Legal Experience and the Mormon Theology of the State, 1945-2012, 100 Iowa L. Rev. 715 (2015). SSRN.
- Need for a Law of Church and Market, 64 Duke L.J. Online 141 (2015). SSRN.
Sarah R. Wasserman Rajec
- The Intellectual Property Hostage in Trade Retaliation, 76 Md. L. Rev. 169 (2016). SSRN.
- Patents Absent Adversaries, 81 Brook. L. Rev. 1073 (2016). SSRN.
- An All-Volunteer Force: Law Students and Pro Bono Lawyers Helping Veterans, ___ S.C. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2017).
- PTSD, TBI, and OTH Discharges: A Case Study of a Young Service Member, 45 Hofstra L. Rev. 35 (2016). Online.
- Post-9/11 Veterans: Welcoming Them Home as Colleagues and Clients, 45 U. Memphis L. Rev. 45 (2015) (symposium). SSRN.
- Environmental Management Systems and Compliance at Small and Lightly Regulated Facilities: Evidence from the New Hampshire Hazardous Waste Program, 49 J. Reg. Econ. 292 (2016).
- Standardization and the Impacts of Voluntary Program Participation: Evidence from Environmental Auditing, 43 Int'l Rev. L. & Econ. 10 (2015).
- Intellectual Property and the Myth of Non-rivalry, working paper.
- Intellectual Possession, working paper (with Dotan Oliar).
- The Essential Structure of Property Law, 115 Mich. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2016). SSRN.
- The Positive Law Model of the Fourth Amendment, 129 Harv. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2016) (with William Baude). SSRN.
- A Criminal Law Model for Adjudicating Sexual Assault on Campus, (forthcoming 2016).
- "Stand Your Ground" and Self Defense, 42 Am. J. Crim. L. 89 (2015). SSRN.
- Justice Scalia and Abortion Speech, 15 First Am. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2017).
- Bathroom Bills, Freedom of Speech, and Transgender Equality, ___ Ohio St. L.J. ___ (forthcoming 2017).
- Rights Dynamism, 19 U. PA. J. CONST. L. ___ (forthcoming 2017).
- The Dynamic Relationship Between Freedom of Expression and Equality, 12 Duke J.L. & Pub. Pol. 13 (2016). SSRN.
- First Amendment Cosmopolitanism, Skepticism, and Democracy, 76 Ohio St. L.J. 705 (2015). SSRN.
- Professional Rights Speech, 47 Ariz. St. L.J. 1289 (2015) (to be reprinted in First Amendment Law Handbook: 2016-2017 Edition (Rodney A. Smolla ed., Thompson/West 2017). SSRN.
Angela M. Banks
- Citizenship, Culture, & Race, in Global Migration, Structural Inclusion and Citizenship Education Across Nations (James A. Banks ed., forthcoming 2017).
- The ICTR's Evidentiary System, in Elgar Companion to the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) (Anne-Marie de Brouwer and Alette Smeulers, eds. forthcoming 2016).
Evan J. Criddle
- Fiduciary Principles in International Law, in The Oxford Handbook of Fiduciary Law (Evan J. Criddle, Paul B. Miller, Robert H. Sitkoff eds., Oxford U. Press, forthcoming 2018).
- Fiduciary Law's Mixed Messages, in Research Handbook on Fiduciary Law (Andrew S. Gold & D. Gordon Smith eds., Edward Elgar Press, forthcoming 2017).
- Introduction: Testing Human Rights Theory During Emergencies, in Human Rights in Emergencies (Cambridge U. Press 2016).
- Protecting Human Rights in Emergencies: Delegation, Derogation, and Deference, in Human Rights in Emergencies (Cambridge U. Press 2016).
- The Constitutional Politics of Congress, in Oxford Handbook on the Constitution of the United States (M. Graber, S. Levinson, M. Tushnet eds., Oxford U. Press 2015).
- Regulating Child Rearing in a Culturally Diverse Society, in Philosophical Foundations of Chidren's and Family Law (Elizabeth Brake and Lucinda Ferguson, eds., Oxford U. Press, forthcoming 2016).
- The Easiest Acoommodation: Abandoning Other People's Children to Their Parents' Religion, in Divorcing Marriage from the State (RobinFretwell Wilson, ed., Cambridge U. Press, forthcoming).
- Diagnosing and Dispelling Denialism Regarding Children, in Denialism and Human Rights (Jan Willems, Hans Nelen and Roland Moerland, eds., Intersentia 2015).
- Access to Justice, Global Inclusion, in Disability, Human Rights, and Information Technology (Michael Stein & Jonathan Lazar eds., U. Penn. Press) (in press, 2016).
- Technology-augmented and Virgual Courts, and Courtrooms, in Crime, and Justice (Tom Holt, ed., Routledge) (in press, 2016).
- Co-author, International Environmental Law in U.S. Courts, in ASIL Judicial Benchbook on International Law (Diane Amman ed. 2015) (with Anastasia Telesetsky). Online.
- Education in Los Angeles: Past and Present, in Voices of the Brown Generation: Memories and Reflections of Law Professors (J. Bonnie & M. W. Wigfall eds., Vanderbilt U. Press forthcoming).
- Voluntary Self-Policing and the U.S. Audit Policy, in Environmental Compliance and Enforcement (David Markell, LeRoy Paddock, and Edward Elgar eds., forthcoming).