Clinical Professor of Law and Director, Clinical Programs, and Director, Lewis B. Puller, Jr. Veterans Benefits Clinic
Office phone: (757) 221-3821
Office location: Room 215
Areas of Specialization
Veterans Law; Clinical Legal Education; Education Law; Legal Skills; Legal Writing; Practice of Law
Representative Professional Activities and Achievements
Professor Roberts directs William & Mary Law School's Lewis B. Puller, Jr. Veterans Benefits Clinic, a clinic she helped to create and supported since its inception in 2008. She is the previous director of the Special Education Advocacy Clinic and founder of William & Mary's Institute of Special Education Advocacy. As Director of Clinical Programs, she is responsible for managing nine clinics at the law school, five of which are in-house clinics started under her leadership. She is an appointed member of the Association of American Law Schools (AALS) Clinical Legal Education Committee and Chair of the AALS Clinical Section Interdisciplinary Committee. Professor Roberts is a graduate of Phillips Exeter Academy, Randolph-Macon Woman's College and William & Mary Law School; she practiced law for eight years as a sole practitioner and later as managing partner of a civil practice law firm.Professor Roberts is a former member of the Legal Aid Society of Eastern Virginia, former member and president of the board of Legal Services of Eastern Virginia, and also served as president of the Greater Peninsula Women's Bar Association. In 1997, she began teaching in William & Mary's Legal Skills Program; prior to her appointment to the faculty in 2008, she served in numerous administrative roles at the law school including Associate Dean for Academic Programs, Director of the Legal Skills Program, and Director of the Academic Support, Externship, and Madrid Summer Study Programs. In 2004, she received the John Marshall Award in recognition of exceptional service to the law school. Professor Roberts is currently serving as the Vice Chair of the Military & Veterans Health Law Task Force, Health Law Section of the American Bar Association, and also a contributing writer to the Clinical Law Professors Blog.
- Post-9/11 Veterans: Welcoming Them Home as Colleagues and Clients, 45 U. Memphis L. Rev. 45 (2015) (symposium).
- From the 'War on Poverty' to Pro Bono: Access to Justice Remains Elusive for Too Many, Including Our Veterans, 34 B.C. J.L. & Soc. Just. 341 (2014). SSRN.
- Co-author, Empowering Special Education Clients Through Cross-Disciplinary Collaboration: Lessons Learned for Current Clients and Future Professionals, 19 Am. U. J. Gender Soc. Pol'y & L (2011) (with Kelly J. Whalon).
- The ABA Got It Right: Veterans Need Our Help, Clinical Legal Education Assoc. Newsletter, Apr. 2015.
- Co-author, Interprofessional Education, section in Building on Best Practices: Transforming Legal Education in a Changing World, Lexis Nexis (2015) (with Lisa Bliss, Sylvia Caley & Emily Suskie). SSRN.