Areas of Specialization
Contract Law; Economic Analysis of Law; Jurisprudence; Law and Religion; Legal History
Representative Professional Activities and Achievements
Joined the faculty in 2006. He earned his J.D., cum laude, from Harvard Law School, where he served on the Articles Committee of the Harvard Law Review and as an editor of the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy. He graduated from Brigham Young University, where he was a Benson Scholar, and, prior to law school, worked on the staff of Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky. After law school, he clerked for the Honorable Morris Shepard Arnold of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit and worked as a litigation associate in the Washington, DC office of Sidley Austin, LLP.
- Truth, Doctrine, and Authority, Element: The Journal of the Society of Mormon Philosophy and Theology (forthcoming) (solicited).
- A Theory of Civil Liability, 21 Geo. Mason L. Rev. 381 (2014).
- Co-author, The Supreme Court's Theory of Private Law, 62 Duke L.J. 1109 (2013) (with Jason M. Solomon). SSRN.
- Markets as a Moral Foundation for Contract Law, 98 Iowa L. Rev. 183 (2012). SSRN.
- Promise and Private Law, 45 Suffolk U. L. Rev. 935 (2012) (solicited).
- Consent to Retaliation: A Civil Recourse Theory of Contractual Liability, 96 Iowa L. Rev. 529 (2011). SSRN.
- How to Judge Sharia Contracts: A Guide to Islamic Marriage Contracts in American Courts, 2011 Utah L. Rev. 287 (2011). SSRN.
- Natural Law and the Rhetoric of Empire: Reynolds v. United States, Polygamy, and Imperialism, 88 Wash. U. L. Rev. 661 (2011). SSRN.
- The Honor of Private Law, 80 Fordham L. Rev. 31 (2011).
- Why There is No Duty to Pay Damages: Powers, Duties, and Private Law, 39 Fla. St. U. L. Rev. 137 (2011) (solicited).
- Bargaining in the Shadow of God's Law: Islamic Mahr Contracts and the Perils of Legal Specialization, 45 Wake Forest L. Rev. 579 (2010) (solicited). SSRN.
- "The Living Oracles": Legal Interpretation and Mormon Thought, 42 Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 1 (2009). SSRN.
- A Pragmatic Defense of Contract Law, 98 Geo. L.J 77 (2009). SSRN.
- Preaching to the Court House and Judging in the Temple, 2009 BYU L. Rev. 157 (2009). SSRN.
- Specific Performance and the Thirteenth Amendment, 93 Minn. L. Rev. 2020 (2009). SSRN.
- The Failure of Economic Interpretations of the Law of Contract Damages, 64 Wash. & Lee L. Rev. 829 (2007). SSRN.
- Corporations and Autonomy Theories of Contract: A Critique of the New Lex Mercatoria, 82 Denv. U. L. Rev. 101 (2005). SSRN.
- Statutory Interpretation in Econotopia, 25 Pace L. Rev. 49 (2005). SSRN.
- Washington Supreme Court Upholds State Anti-Spamming Law, 115 Harv. L. Rev. 931 (2002).
- "I will give unto you my law": Section 42 as a Legal Text and the Paradoxes of Divine Law, in Embracing the Law: Essays on Doctrine & Covenants Section 42 (Jeremiah John ed., forthcoming).
- Op-ed, Government Subsidies Hamper Green Technology, Deseret News, Sept. 23, 2011.
- Op-ed, Warren Jeffs and the Abandonment of Tradition, Deseret News, Aug. 14, 2011.
- Op-ed, Burke Triumphs Over Jefferson in New York Same-Sex Marriage Decision, Deseret News, June 24, 2011.
- Op-ed, LDS Church Walks a Tightrope on Public Policy, Patheos, May 26, 2011.
- Op-ed, In Israeli-Palestinian Conflict Could Commerce Foster Trust, Tolerance, and Peace, Deseret News, May 25, 2011.
- Op-ed, The Arab World Needs Free Markets as Much as Democracy, Deseret News, Mar. 12, 2011.
- Op-ed, Religion, Anti-discrimination and the Decline of Labor Law, Deseret News, Feb. 26, 2011.
- Op-ed, Romney and Huntsman: Two Answers to the Mormon Question, Deseret News, Feb. 5, 2011.
- Op-ed, The End of the Great Fiscal Compromise, Deseret News, Jan. 8, 2011.
- A Local Faith, 49 BYU Studies 163 (2010).
- Church-State Relations, in Mormonism: A Historical Encyclopedia 329 (Paul Reeve & Ardis Parshall, eds., 2010) (solicited).
- Book Review, Mordred had a Point, 43 Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 201 (2010) (reviewing Gary Topping, Leonard J. Arrington: A Historian's Life) (solicited).
- Mormonism and Secular Government, in Mormonism: A Historical Encyclopedia 329 (Paul Reeve & Ardis Parshall, eds., 2010) (solicited).
- Reynolds v. United States, in Encyclopedia of Mormon History 119 (Paul Reeve & Ardis Parshall, eds., 2010) (solicited).
- Op-ed, Glenn Beck Bad News for Religious Conservatism, Richmond Times-Dispatch, Dec. 30, 2010.
- Op-ed, Our Clumsy System Best for Church and Market, Deseret News, Dec. 26, 2010.
- Op-ed, Sharia Law Poses No Threat to American Courts, Deseret News, Dec. 19, 2010.
- Op-ed, Prosperity Versus Equality at the Polls, Deseret News, Nov. 1, 2010.
- Op-ed, Balanced Budget Amendment is Dangerous Gimmick, Not Solution, Deseret News, Sept. 19, 2010.
- Op-ed, The Hidden Cost of Auto Bailouts, Wash. Times, Aug. 10, 2010.
- Co-author, Op-ed, The End of an Idea, National Review Online, July 5, 2010 (with Alan Meese).
- Op-ed, Why Conservatives Should Support Gay Marriage, Patheos, July 7, 2009.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in Encyclopedia of the Supreme Court of the United States 301 (David S. Tanenhaus et al. eds., 2008) (solicited).
- Book Review, The Scholar as Celebrant, 41 Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 163 (2008) (reviewing Terryl Givens, People of Paradox: A Cultural History of Mormonism) (solicited).
- Op-ed, Mormonism's Al Smith Moment?, San Francisco Chronicle, Jan. 2, 2008, at B7, reprinted in The Salt Lake Tribune.
- A Defense of the Authority of Church Doctrine, 40 Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 1 (2007).
- Contract Law and Morality: Introduction, 48 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 1643 (2007). SSRN.
- Shylock and Article Nine of the U.C.C, in Perspectives on the Uniform Commercial Code 106 (Douglas E. Litowitz ed., 2d ed., 2007).
- Jurisprudence and the Problem of Church Doctrine, 2 Element: The Journal of the Society for Mormon Philosophy and Theology 1 (2006).
- Book Review, Unity and Pluralism in Contract Law, 103 Mich. L. Rev. 1483 (2005) (reviewing Stephen Smith, Contract Theory). SSRN.
- Secret Combinations: A Legal Analysis, 16 FARMS Rev. of Books 49 (2004).
- Note, Wagering on Religious Freedom, 116 Harv. L. Rev. 946 (2003). SSRN.
- Case Comment, Republican Party of Minnesota v. White, 122 S. Ct. 2528 (2002), 116 Harv. L. Rev. 272 (2002).
- Case Comment, Washington v. Heckel, 24 P.3d 404, (Wash. 2001), cert. denied, 70 U.S.L.W. 3193 (U.S. Oct. 29, 2001) (No. 01-469), 115 Harv. L. Rev. 931 (2002).
- Book Review, 41 BYU Studies 71 (2002) (reviewing Sarah Barringer Gordon, The Mormon Question: Polygamy and Constitutional Conflict in Nineteenth-Century America (2001)).
- Book Review, Story of a Forgotten Battle, 2002 BYU L. Rev. 745 (2002) (reviewing Sarah Barringer Gordon, The Mormon Question: Polygamy and Constitutional Conflict in Nineteenth-Century America). SSRN.
- Book Review, Out of Zion Shall Go Forth the Law, 12 FARMS Rev. of Books 113 (2000) (reviewing Richard Collin Mangrum & Edwin Firmage, Zion in the Courts: A Legal History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1830-1900).