Areas of Specialization
Contract Law; Economic Analysis of Law; Jurisprudence; Law and Religion; Legal History
Representative Professional Activities and Achievements
Joined the faculty in 2006. He earned his J.D., cum laude, from Harvard Law School, where he served on the Articles Committee of the Harvard Law Review and as an editor of the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy. He graduated from Brigham Young University, where he was a Benson Scholar, and, prior to law school, worked on the staff of Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky. After law school, he clerked for the Honorable Morris Shepard Arnold of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit and worked as a litigation associate in the Washington, DC office of Sidley Austin, LLP.
- International Legal Experience and the Mormon Theology of the State, 1945-2012, 100 Iowa L. Rev. 715 (2015). SSRN.
- Co-author, Hobby Lobby, Corporate Law, and the Theory of the Firm: Why For-Profit Corporations are RFRA Persons, 124 Harv. L. Rev. F. 273 (2014) (with Alan Meese). SSRN.
- A Theory of Civil Liability, 21 Geo. Mason L. Rev. 381 (2014).
- Need for a Law of Church and Market, 64 Duke L.J. Online __ (forthcoming 2015). SSRN.
- Co-author, The Supreme Court's Theory of Private Law, 62 Duke L.J. 1109 (2013) (with Jason M. Solomon). SSRN.
- Markets as a Moral Foundation for Contract Law, 98 Iowa L. Rev. 183 (2012). SSRN.
- Promise and Private Law, 45 Suffolk U. L. Rev. 935 (2012) (solicited).
- Consent to Retaliation: A Civil Recourse Theory of Contractual Liability, 96 Iowa L. Rev. 529 (2011). SSRN.
- How to Judge Sharia Contracts: A Guide to Islamic Marriage Contracts in American Courts, 2011 Utah L. Rev. 287 (2011). SSRN.
- Natural Law and the Rhetoric of Empire: Reynolds v. United States, Polygamy, and Imperialism, 88 Wash. U. L. Rev. 661 (2011). SSRN.
- The Honor of Private Law, 80 Fordham L. Rev. 31 (2011).
- Why There is No Duty to Pay Damages: Powers, Duties, and Private Law, 39 Fla. St. U. L. Rev. 137 (2011) (solicited).
- Bargaining in the Shadow of God's Law: Islamic Mahr Contracts and the Perils of Legal Specialization, 45 Wake Forest L. Rev. 579 (2010) (solicited). SSRN.
- A Pragmatic Defense of Contract Law, 98 Geo. L.J 77 (2009). SSRN.
- Preaching to the Court House and Judging in the Temple, 2009 BYU L. Rev. 157 (2009). SSRN.
- Specific Performance and the Thirteenth Amendment, 93 Minn. L. Rev. 2020 (2009). SSRN.
- Contract Law and Morality: Introduction, 48 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 1643 (2007). SSRN.
- The Failure of Economic Interpretations of the Law of Contract Damages, 64 Wash. & Lee L. Rev. 829 (2007). SSRN.
- Corporations and Autonomy Theories of Contract: A Critique of the New Lex Mercatoria, 82 Denv. U. L. Rev. 101 (2005). SSRN.
- Statutory Interpretation in Econotopia, 25 Pace L. Rev. 49 (2005). SSRN.
- Book Review, Unity and Pluralism in Contract Law, 103 Mich. L. Rev. 1483 (2005) (reviewing Stephen Smith, Contract Theory). SSRN.
- Note, Wagering on Religious Freedom, 116 Harv. L. Rev. 946 (2003). SSRN.
- Case Comment, Republican Party of Minnesota v. White, 122 S. Ct. 2528 (2002), 116 Harv. L. Rev. 272 (2002).
- Case Comment, Washington v. Heckel, 24 P.3d 404 (Wash. 2001), cert. denied, 70 U.S.L.W. 3193 (U.S. Oct. 29, 2001) (No. 01-469), 115 Harv. L. Rev. 931 (2002).
- Book Review, Story of a Forgotten Battle, 2002 BYU L. Rev. 745 (2002) (reviewing Sarah Barringer Gordon, The Mormon Question: Polygamy and Constitutional Conflict in Nineteenth-Century America). SSRN.
- "I will give unto you my law": Section 42 as a Legal Text and the Paradoxes of Divine Law, in Embracing the Law: Essays on Doctrine & Covenants Section 42, (Jeremiah John ed., forthcoming).
- Truth, Doctrine, and Authority, Element: The Journal of the Society of Mormon Philosophy and Theology (forthcoming) (solicited).
- Doux Commerce in the City of God: Trade and the Mormon Ideal of Zion, in Reapproaching Zion, (Sam Brunson & Nathan B. Oman, eds., forthcoming 2015). SSRN.
- A Local Faith, 49 BYU Studies 163 (2010).
- Church-State Relations, in Encyclopedia of Mormon History 329 (Paul Reeve & Ardis Parshall, eds., 2010) (solicited).
- Book Review, Mordred had a Point, 43 Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 201 (2010) (reviewing Gary Topping, Leonard J. Arrington: A Historian's Life) (solicited).
- Reynolds v. United States, in Encyclopedia of Mormon History 119 (Paul Reeve & Ardis Parshall, eds., 2010) (solicited).
- 'The Living Oracles': Legal Interpretation and Mormon Thought, 42 Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 1 (2009). SSRN.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in Encyclopedia of the Supreme Court of the United States 301 (David S. Tanenhaus et al. eds., 2008) (solicited).
- Book Review, The Scholar as Celebrant, 41 Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 163 (2008) (reviewing Terryl Givens, People of Paradox: A Cultural History of Mormonism) (solicited).
- A Defense of the Authority of Church Doctrine, 40 Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 1 (2007).
- Shylock and Article Nine of the U.C.C, in Perspectives on the Uniform Commercial Code 106 (Douglas E. Litowitz ed., 2d ed., 2007).
- Jurisprudence and the Problem of Church Doctrine, 2 Element: The Journal of the Society for Mormon Philosophy and Theology 1 (2006).
- Secret Combinations: A Legal Analysis, 16 FARMS Rev. of Books 49 (2004).
- Book Review, 41 BYU Studies 71 (2002) (reviewing Sarah Barringer Gordon, The Mormon Question: Polygamy and Constitutional Conflict in Nineteenth-Century America (2001)).
- Book Review, Out of Zion Shall Go Forth the Law, 12 FARMS Rev. of Books 113 (2000) (reviewing Richard Collin Mangrum & Edwin Firmage, Zion in the Courts: A Legal History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1830-1900).