Lynda L. Butler
Chancellor Professor of Law and Director, William and Mary Property Rights Project and Co-Chair, President's Committee on Sustainability
Office phone: (757) 221-3843
Office location: Room 242
Areas of Specialization
Constitutional Law--Eminent Domain (Takings); Environmental Law (Climate Change); Land Use and Zoning; Natural Resources Law (Water Resources); Property Law
Representative Professional Activities and Achievements
Practiced law in Washington, D.C. and was a visiting professor at Ohio State University.
Co-author of Virginia Tidal and Coastal Law and author of articles in the Arizona, Brigham Young University, Illinois, Southern California and William and Mary law reviews, among others.
Vice Dean 2000-2008; Acting Dean 2008-2009. Member (ex officio) of the Board of Governor's of the Real Property Section of the Virginia State Bar. Co-chair, College's Committee on Sustainability.
Past president of the College's Faculty Assembly.
- Co-author, Virginia Tidal and Coastal Law (Michie Co. 1988) (with Margit Livingston).
- The Resilience of Property, 55 Ariz. L. Rev. 847 (2013). SSRN.
- The Pathology of Property Norms: Living Within Nature's Boundaries, 73 S. Cal. L. Rev. 927 (2000). Online.
- The Politics of Takings: Choosing the Appropriate Decisionmaker, 38 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 749 (1997).
- Private Land Use, Changing Public Values and Notions of Relativity, BYU L. Rev. 629 (1992).
- Environmental Water Rights: An Evolving Concept of Public Property, 9 Va. Envtl. L.J. 323 (1990).
- State Environmental Programs: A Study in Political Influence and Regulatory Failure, 31 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 823 (1990).
- Defining a Water Ethic Through Comprehensive Reform: A Suggested Framework for Analysis, U. Ill. L. Rev. 439 (1986).
- Allocating Consumptive Water Rights in a Riparian Jurisdiction: Defining the Relationship Between Public and Private Interests, 47 U. Pitt. L. Rev. 95 (1985).
- Defining Public Consumptive Rights inVirginia's Rivers, Streams, and Lakes: Is Legislative Reform Needed?, 11 Va. B. Assoc. J., Winter, 1985, at 14.
- Commentary on the Proceedings of the Water Rights Symposium, 24 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 767 (1983).
- The Commons Concept: An Historical Concept with Modern Relevance, 23 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 835 (1982).
- Property and Trusts and Estates Section of the Virginia Survey of Law, 62 Va. L. Rev. 1469 (1976) (student work).
- Property Rights, in The Bill of Rights, The Courts and The Law, 303-334 (Va. Found. Human. & Pub. Pol'y 1999).
- A Review and Update of the Law Easements, in The Old, The New and the Necessary-Easements, LLC's and HUD Regs, at V-1 to V-52 (Va. CLE, Virginia Law Found. 1993).
- Private Land Use, Changing Public Values and Notions of Relativity, in Development Expectations and the Zoning Power: The Concept of Vested Rights, 13-22 (Inst. Envtl. Negot., UVA 1992).
- Book Review, 111 Ethics 407 (2001) (reviewing Daniel A. Farber, Eco-Pragmatism: Making Sensible Environmental Decisions in an Uncertain World (1999)).
- Co-author, Coastal Ecosystem Science for Graduate Students in Law and Business: A Summary of Survey Results and Future Activities for Law Students, (1998) (with Niebuhr, Anderson & Bahen).
- Coastal Marine Science for Law and Business Students: Preparing Law and Business Professionals to Make "Informed Decisions" About Coastal Issues, 16 Int'l Conf. Coastal Soc'y 283 (1998).
- The Supreme Court's Heightened Review of Land Use Exactions, in Dolan v. City of Tigard, 15 The Fee Simple 22 (Va. State Bar, Nov. 1994).
- Dolan v. City of Tigard: Land Use Exactions After Nollan v. California Coastal Commission, 14 The Fee Simple 57 (Va. State Bar, May 1994).
- Co-author, Covenants Not to Compete in the Real Property Context: An Update, 14 The Fee Simple 35 (Va. State Bar, May 1994) (with Matthew Klepper).
- Barnhill v. Johnson and Payment by Check on the Eve of Bankruptcy: Implications for the Real Estate Attorney, 13 The Fee Simple 43 (Va. State Bar, Nov. 1992).
- Pierson v. Post and the America's Cup Litigation, 10 Real Prop. Sec. Newsl. 10 (Va. State Bar, Nov. 1989).
- Real Estate Transactions and the Uniform Commercial Code: Methods of Indexing Financing Statements, 10 Real Prop. Sec. Newsl. 42 (Va. State Bar, Nov. 1989).
- Legal Barriers to Comprehensive Natural Resources Management in Virginia, 1 (1989) (prepared pursuant to a grant from the Virginia Environmental Endowment; 59 pp. of text, 44 pp. of endnotes).
- Report of the Governor's Study Commission on Virginia's Royalty Assessment Program, 1 (1988) (written for the Commission).
- Mullins v. Simmons: The Early Vesting Rule and the 'Death Without Issue' Clause, 8 Real Prop. Sec. Newsl. 17 (Va. State Bar, May 1988).
- Selected Recent Ethics Opinions, 8 Real Prop. Sec. Newsl. 36 (Va. State Bar, May 1988).
- Lambert v. Barker and Lost Note Affadavits, 8 Real Prop. Sec. Newsl. 16 (Va. State Bar, Nov. 1987).
- Priority Contests Involving Deeds of Trust After Hausman v. Hausman, 7 Real Prop. Sec. Newsl. 8 (Va. State Bar, May 1987).
- New Tax Reporting Requirement for Closing Attorneys, 7 Real Prop. Sec. Newsl. 6 (Va. State Bar, Nov. 1986).
- The Wet Settlement Act and the Problem of Delayed Disbursements, 6 Real Prop. Sec. Newsl. 13 (Va. State Bar, May 1986).
- Editor, Vols. 6-32 The Fee Simple (Va. State Bar, ).