Laura A. Heymann
Vice Dean and Professor of Law
Office phone: (757) 221-3812
Office location: Room 107A
Areas of Specialization
Computers and the Law; Intellectual Property Law; Intellectual Property Law--Copyright Law; Intellectual Property Law--Trademark Law; Internet Law
Representative Professional Activities and Achievements
Laura Heymann joined the faculty in 2005. She is a graduate of the University of California at Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall), where she was elected to Order of the Coif and served as the Book Review Editor on the California Law Review.
Prior to her appointment, Professor Heymann was the inaugural Frank H. Marks Visiting Associate Professor of Law and Administrative Fellow in the Intellectual Property Law Program at The George Washington University Law School. She has also served as an assistant general counsel at America Online, Inc.; as an associate at Wilmer, Cutler and Pickering in Washington, D.C.; and as a law clerk to the Hon. Patricia M. Wald of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Prior to attending law school, Professor Heymann worked as an assistant editor at St. Martin's Press in New York. She received her B.A. in English, magna cum laude, from Yale. Professor Heymann was selected by the 2008 graduating class as the recipient of the Walter L. Williams, Jr., Memorial Teaching Award and was the 2012 recipient of the College's Thomas Jefferson Teaching Award. She received a Plumeri Award for Faculty Excellence in 2012 and was the Class of 2014 Professor of Law from 2011 to 2014.
- Dialogues of Authenticity, 58 Stud. L. Pol. & Soc'y ___ (forthcoming 2014). SSRN.
- Symposium, Overlapping Intellectual Property Doctrines: Election of Rights versus Selection of Remedies, 17 Stan. Tech. L. Rev. 241 (2013). SSRN.
- Symposium, A Name I Call Myself: Creativity and Naming, 2 U.C. Irvine L. Rev. 585 (2012). SSRN.
- The Scope of Trademark Law in the Age of the Brand Persona, 98 Va. L. Rev. In Brief 61 (2012). SSRN.
- Naming, Identity, and Trademark Law, 86 Ind. L.J. 381 (2011). SSRN.
- The Law of Reputation and the Interest of the Audience, 52 B.C. L. Rev. 1341 (2011) (selected for republication in the Entertainment, Publishing and the Arts Handbook (Thomson Reuters West 2012), as one of the best law review articles in the fields of entertainment, publishing, and the arts published in 2011). SSRN.
- Symposium, Reading the Product: Warnings, Disclaimers, and Literary Theory, 22 Yale J.L. & Human. 393 (2010). SSRN.
- Symposium, The Grammar of Trademarks, 14 Lewis & Clark L. Rev. 1313 (2010) (selected for republication in the Intell. Prop. L. Rev. (Thomas West Group 2011) as one of the best intellectual property law review articles published in 2010). SSRN.
- Symposium, A Tale of (At Least) Two Authors: Focusing Copyright Law on Process Over Product, 34 J. Corp. L. 1009 (2009). SSRN.
- How to Write a Life: Some Thoughts on Fixation and the Copyright/Privacy Divide, 51 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 825 (2009) (selected for republication in the Copyright Annual Anthology (Thomson Reuters West 2010) as a notable scholarly work on copyright published in 2009). SSRN.
- The Public's Domain in Trademark Law: A First Amendment Theory of the Consumer, 43 Ga. L. Rev. 651 (2009). SSRN.
- Symposium, Everything is Transformative: Fair Use and Reader Response, 31 Colum. J.L. & Arts 445 (2008). SSRN.
- The Reasonable Person in Trademark Law, 52 St. Louis U. L.J. 781 (2008) (special issue). SSRN.
- Symposium, Metabranding and Intermediation: A Response to Prof. Fleischer, 12 Harv. Negot. L. Rev. 201 (2007). SSRN.
- The Trademark/Copyright Divide, 60 SMU L. Rev. 55 (2007) (selected for republication in the Intell. Prop. L. Rev. (Thomson West Group 2008) as one of the best intellectual property law review articles published in 2007). SSRN.
- Essay, Inducement as Contributory Copyright Infringement: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Inc. v. Grokster, Ltd., 37 Int'l Rev. Intell. Prop. & Competition L. 31 (2006). SSRN.
- The Birth of the Authornym: Authorship, Pseudonymity, and Trademark Law, 80 Notre Dame L. Rev. 1377 (2005). SSRN.
- Book Review, 85 Cal. L. Rev. 761 (1997) (reviewing William Domnarski, In the Opinion of the Court (1996)). SSRN.
- The Cosmetic/Drug Dilemma: FDA Regulation of Alpha-Hydroxy Acids, 52 Food & Drug L.J. 357 (1997) (winner of the 1997 H. Thomas Austern Memorial Writing Competition). SSRN.
- Authorship and Trademark Law, in 3 Intellectual Property and Information Wealth: Issues and Practices in the Digital Age 191 (Peter K. Yu ed., Praeger Publishers 2007).