James S. Heller
Professor of Law and Director, The Wolf Law Library
Office phone: (757) 221-3252
Office location: Room L102F
Areas of Specialization
Intellectual Property Law--Copyright Law; Law and Literature; Law and Public Policy; Legal Research
Law & Literature; Law & Public Policy
Representative Professional Activities and Achievements
Joined the faculty in 1988. Served as Director of the Law Library and Associate Professor at the University of Idaho College of Law.
Author of articles in the Law Library Journal, College and Research Libraries, The Law Librarian, and the Richmond Journal of Law and Technology. Author of The Librarian's Copyright Companion. A frequent lecturer on copyright issues.
Served as President of the Virginia Association of Law Libraries, the Southeastern Chapter of the American Association of Law Libraries and the American Association of Law Libraries.
- The Librarian's Copyright Companion (Wm. S. Hein & Co. 2004).
- Co-author, Copyright Handbook (Fred B. Rothman & Co. for the American Association of Law Libraries 1984) (with Sarah Wiant).
Book Revisions and Supplements
- Co-author, The Librarian's Copyright Companion (Wm. S. Hein & Co. 2d ed. 2012) (with Paul Hellyer & Ben Keele).
- Co-author, Pretty Woman Meets the Man Who Wears the Star: Fair Use After Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music and American Geophysical Union v. Texaco, 54 J. Copyright Soc'y U.S.A. 719 (2007) (with Anne Forkener & Patrick Speice).
- 51, 36, 127, Hike: Justifying a Law Library Renovation and Expansion Project (Part 1 & 2), 14 Trends L. Libr. Mgmt. & Tech. 4 (2003).
- Copyright, Fair Use, and the For-Profit Sector, Info. Outlook , May 2002, at 6, reprinted in Va. Law., Dec. 2002, at 33.
- UCITA: Still Crazy After All These Years, and Still Not Ready for Prime Time, 8 Richmond J.L. Tech. 5 (2001) (Earlier versions published as The Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act (UCITA): Still Not Ready for Prime Time, 7 Rich. J.L. & Tech. 14 (Symposium 2000) and Coming Soon to Your State (But Not Ready for Prime Time): UCITA, AALL Spectrum, Nov. 2000, at 4.). Online.
- Digital Information, Licensing, and the Threat to Fair Use, 26 Canadian L. Libr. 145 (2001).
- The Impact of Recent Litigation on Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery, 88 Law Libr. J. 158 (1996) Winner of the 1996 "Law Library Journal Article of the Year" Award. Reprinted in Growing Pains: Adapting Copyright for Libraries, Education, and Society (Laura Gasaway, ed. Fred B. Rothman & Co. (1997).
- Copyright Law and American Law Libraries: A 1994 Status Report, 25 Law Libr. 128 (1994).
- The Public Performance Right in Libraries: Is There Anything Fair About It?, 84 Law Libr. J. 315 (1992).
- Copyright Essentials for Librarians, 49 N.C. Libr. 5 (1991).
- Fee-Based Document Delivery: Permissible Activities Under United States Copyright Law, in Fee-Based Services: Issues & Answers, Proceedings of the Second Conference on Fee-Based Research in College and University Libraries (1987).
- Report to the Copyright Office by the American Association of Law Libraries, 75 Law Libr. J. 438 (1982).
- Collection Development, Licensing, and Acquisitions, in Law Librarianship in the 21st Century (Scarecrow Press 2006).
- America's First Law School Library: History of the College of William and Mary's Marshall-Wythe Law Library, 1779-1995, in Law Librarianship: Historical Perspectives (Laura Gasaway & Michael Chiorazzi eds., Fred B. Rothman & Co. 1996), reprinted in Virginia Law Books: Essays and Bibliographies (Am. Phil. Soc'y 2000).
- Federalism, U.S. Style, 3 Legal Info. Mgmt. 162 (2003).
- Finding A New Balance: Technical Services Meets Adidas, AALL Spectrum, Nov. 2002, at 16.
- Collection Development a la Versace: Fashioning a Policy for Your Library, AALL Spectrum, Feb. 2002, at 12 (Winner of the 2002 "AALL Spectrum Article of the Year Award").
- Where Have You Gone, Fair Use: Document Delivery in the For-Profit Sector, Info. Outlook, Jan. 2000, at 42.
- Book Review, 28 ARBA 231 (1998) (reviewing B. Lindemann & P. Grossman, Employment Discrimination Law).
- Book Review, 28 ARBA 237 (1998) (reviewing C. Picket, Patent Law Index).
- Book Review, 28 ARBA 218 (1997) (reviewing S. Noble, Noble's International Guide to the Law Reports).
- Book Review, 28 ARBA 220 (1997) (reviewing Eds. of Salem Press, Ready Reference: American Justice).
- Book Review, 28 ARBA 224 (1997) (reviewing Public Record Research Library, Sourcebook of Federal Courts: U.S. District and Bankruptcy).
- Book Review, 28 ARBA 230 (1997) (reviewing V. Patton-Hulce, Environment and the Law: A Dictionary).
- Book Review, 28 ARBA 220 (1997) (reviewing D. Strouthes, Law and Politics: A Cross-Cultural Encyclopedia).
- Book Review, 27 ARBA 238 (1996) (reviewing S. Goode and I. Wellborn, Courtroom Handbook on Federal Evidence).
- Book Review, 27 ARBA 239 (1996) (reviewing The National Conference of State Legislatures, Children, Youth and Family Issues: State Legislative Summary).
- Book Review, 27 ARBA 245 (1996) (reviewing R. Maddex, Constitutions of the World).
- Book Review, 27 ARBA 229 (1996) (reviewing S. Silverburg, Index to Law School Theses and Dissertations).
- Book Review, 27 ARBA 236 (1996) (reviewing The Research & Education Association, REA's Authoritative Guide to Law Schools).
- Book Review, 27 ARBA 246 (1996) (reviewing The United Nations, Yearbook of the International Law Commission).
- Book Review, 27 ARBA 232 (1996) (reviewing B. Garner, Dictionary of Modern Legal Usage).
- Book Review, 27 ARBA 234 (1996) (reviewing S. Malkani and M. Walsh, The Insider's Guide to Law Firms).
- Book Review, 26 ARBA 308 (1995) (reviewing A. W. Dorn, Index to the Chemical Weapons Convention).
- The National Conference on Legal Information Issues: Charting the Course of the Legal Information Revolution, 26 Law Libr. 518 (1995).
- Book Review, 25 ARBA 242 (1994) (reviewing E. Mickolus, Terrorism, 1988-1991: A Chronology of Events).
- Book Review, 25 ARBA 225 (1994) (reviewing M. M. Prince, Bieber's Dictionary of Legal Citations).
- Book Review, 24 ARBA 243 (1993) (reviewing F. Martin and R. Goehlert, How To Research the Supreme Court).
- Book Review, 24 ARBA 243 (1993) (reviewing R. Nash and S. Schooner, The Government Contracts Reference Book).
- Book Review, 24 ARBA 245 (1993) (reviewing The National Directory of Courts of Law (M. Yannone ed.).
- Book Review, 23 ARBA 201 (1992) (reviewing The Charlemagne Tower Collection of Colonial Laws (Historical Society of Pennsylvania).
- Book Review, 23 ARBA 210 (1992) (reviewing H. Sheppard, Litigation Services Directory).
- Book Review, 23 ARBA 210 (1992) (reviewing The World Directory of Teaching and Research Institutions In International Law (UNESCO).
- Book Review, 23 ARBA 202 (1992) (reviewing Bowker-Saur, International Legal Books in Print 1990-91).
- Book Review, 23 ARBA 210 (1992) (reviewing E. Schaffer and R. Bruce, Directory of Foreign Law Collections in Selected Law Libraries).
- Book Review, 22 ARBA 226 (1991) (reviewing F. Martin and R. Goehlert, The U.S. Supreme Court: A Bibliography).
- Book Review, 22 ARBA 235 (1991) (reviewing Legal Briefs (J. Charlton ed.)).
- Book Review, 22 ARBA 288 (1991) (reviewing The World Almanac of U.S. Politics (Sharilyn Jee ed.)).
- Book Review, 21 ARBA 236 (1990) (reviewing E. Gerhart, Quote it II).
- Book Review, 21 ARBA 234 (1990) (reviewing The Greenwood Annual Abstract of Legal Dissertations and Theses, 1985-87 (K. Brown comp.)).
- Book Review, 21 ARBA 226 (1990) (reviewing E. Matthews, The Law Library Reference Shelf).
- Book Review, 21 ARBA 229 (1990) (reviewing National Directory of Legal Services (R. Davidson ed.)).
- Book Review, 21 ARBA 292 (1990) (reviewing Washington Information Directory (Congressional Quarterly, Inc.)).
- Book Review, 20 ARBA 202 (1989) (reviewing J. Schultz, Comparative Statutory Sources: U.S. Canadian, Multinational (3d ed.)).
- Book Review, 20 ARBA 259 (1989) (reviewing J. Shafritz, The Dorsey Dictionary of American Government and Politics).
- Book Review, 20 ARBA 211 (1989) (reviewing Annuals and Surveys Appearing in Legal Periodicals: An Annotated Listing (E. DeLashmitt comp.)).
- Book Review, 5 LISCA 190 (1989) (reviewing A. Gervasi and B. Seibt, Handook for Small, Rural, and Emerging Public Libraries).
- Book Review, 5 LISCA 240 (1989) (reviewing CALL Newsletter/Bulletin (Canadian Association of Law Libraries)).
- Book Review, 5 LISCA 147 (1989) (reviewing E. Sinofsky, A Copyright Primer for Educational and Industrial Producers).
- Book Review, 4 LISCA 244 (1988) (reviewing C. Pennington, Microcomputer Software Selection for the Law Library -- Part I: General Business Software).
- Copyright and Fee-Based Library Services, 47 C. & Res. Libr. News 28 (1986).
- Questions and Answers, 76 L. Libr. J. 414 (1983).
- Questions and Answers, 75 L. Libr. J. 552 (1982).