Areas of Specialization
Adoption Law; Children and the Law; Constitutional Law--14th Amendment; Constitutional Law--1st Amendment (Religion); Education Law; Family Law; Philosophy of Law; Trusts and Estates Law
Representative Professional Activities and Achievements
Joined the faculty in 2000 after teaching law at the Chicago-Kent and University of Wyoming law schools. Practiced law with Sutherland, Asbill, and Brennan; and Coudert Brothers; both in Washington, D.C., and worked in New York State Family Court as Law Guardian and Assigned Counsel. Teaches family law, youth law, trusts and estates, and law and social justice. Selected for the Class of 2010 Professorship and the Plumeri Award.
- Family Law: Theoretical, Comparative, and Social Science Perspectives (Aspen Publishers 2012).
- Moral Status and Human Life: The Case for Children's Superiority (Cambridge U. Press 2011). SSRN.
- The Relationship Rights of Children (Cambridge U. Press 2006). SSRN.
- Vouchers Within Reason: A Child-Centered Approach to Education Reform (Cornell U. Press 2002). SSRN.
- Religious Schools v. Children's Rights (Cornell U. Press 1998) (paperback edition with new preface in 2001). SSRN.
- Jailing Black Babies, 2013 Utah L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2014). SSRN.
- Inter-country Adoption and the Special Rights Fallacy, 35 U. Pa. J. Int'l L. ___ (2014). SSRN.
- Co-author, Promising Protection: 911 Call Records as Foundation for Family Violence Intervention, 102 Ky. L.J. 49 (2014) (with Linda L. Bryant). SSRN.
- Misused Concepts and Misguided Questions: Fundamental Confusions in Family Law Debates, 4 Int'l J. Jur. Fam. ___ (2013) (forthcoming) (peer reviewed).
- Equality Between Adults and Children: Its Meaning, Implications, and Opposition, 2013 Mich. St. L. Rev. ___ (2013) (forthcoming) (symposium article).
- Adoptive Couple v. Baby Girl: Erasing the Last Vestiges of Human Property, 93 B.U. L. Rev. Annex 51 (2013) (solicited). SSRN.
- No Accounting for School Vouchers, 48 Wake Forest L. Rev. 361 (2013) (symposium article). SSRN.
- Parents' Self-Determination and Children's Custody: A New Analytical Framework for State Structuring of Children's Family Life, 54 Ariz. L. Rev. 79 (2012). SSRN.
- The Parental Choice Fallacy in Education Reform Debates, 87 Notre Dame L. Rev. 1837 (2012) (symposium article). SSRN.
- No Place for Children: Addressing Urban Blight and its Impact on Children Through Child Protection Law, Domestic Relations Law, and "Adult-only" Residential Zoning, 62 Ala. L. Rev. 887 (2011). SSRN.
- The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of Employment Division v. Smith for Family Law, 32 Cardozo L. Rev. 1781 (2011) (symposium article). SSRN.
- Parental Entitlement and Corporal Punishment, 73 Law & Contemp. Probs. 189 (2010). SSRN.
- A Constitutional Birthright: The State, Parentage, and Newborn Persons, 56 UCLA L. Rev. 755 (2009). SSRN.
- First Parents: Reconceptualizing Newborn Adoption, 37 Cap. U. L. Rev. 293 (2009) (symposium article). SSRN.
- The Child Protection Pretense: States' Continued Consignment of Newborn Babies to Unfit Parents, 93 Minn. L. Rev. 407 (2008). SSRN.
- A Child-Centered Approach to Parentage Law, 14 Wm. & Mary Bill Rts. J. 843 (2006) (symposium article).
- The Liberal State's Response to Religious Visions of Education, 44 J. Cath. Legal Stud. 195 (2005) (response to commentaries on my work). SSRN.
- School Accountability and "High Stakes Testing," 2 Theory & Res. Ed. 211 (2004) (solicited).
- A Taxonomy of Children's Existing Rights in State Decision Making About Their Relationships, 11 Wm. & Mary Bill Rts. J. 845 (2003) (symposium article).
- School Vouchers: Inviting the Public Into the Religious Square, 42 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 963 (2001) (symposium article).
- Co-author, Informed Consent for Neonatal Circumcision: An Ethical and Legal Conundrum, 17 J. Contemp. Health L. & Pol'y 61 (2000) (with J. Steven Svoboda & Robert S. Van Howe).
- Spiritual Treatment Exemptions to Child Medical Neglect Laws: What We Outsiders Should Think, 76 Notre Dame L. Rev. 147 (2000) (symposium article).
- Children's Interests in a Family Context -- A Cautionary Note, 39 Santa Clara L. Rev. 1053 (1999) (symposium article).
- Setting Standards for Parenting -- By What Right?, 27 Child Psychiatry & Hum. Dev. 165 (1997) (solicited).
- The Children We Abandon: Religious Exemptions to Child Welfare and Educational Law as Denials of Equal Protection to Children of Religious Objectors, 74 N.C. L. Rev. 1321 (1996). SSRN.
- Parent's Religion and Children's Welfare: Debunking the Doctrine of Parents' Rights, 82 Cal. L. Rev. 1371 (1994), reprinted, in part, in Garrison & Schneider, The Law of Bioethics: Individual Autonomy and Social Regulation (West 2003). SSRN.
- The Moral Basis of Children’s Relational Rights, in The Routledge Handbook of Family Law and Policy (Robert George & John Eekelaar, eds., forthcoming 2014).
- Who Decides?, in The Wellbeing of Children in Theory and Practice (Colin Macleod & Alexander Bagattini eds., Springer, forthcoming 2014).
- Children's Education Rights in a Liberal Democracy, in Padagogische Modernisierung: Sakularitat und Sakralitat in der Modernen Padogigik (Hoffmann, Jacottet, & Osterwalder eds., Haupt Bern 2006).
- Children's Rights, in The Blackwell Companion to the Philosophy of Education (Blackwell Pub. 2003).
- Changing the Conversation About Children's Education, in NOMOS XLIII: Moral and Political Education (NYU Press 2002).
- Op-ed, Let's change marriage law the right way, Richmond Times Dispatch, Feb. 21, 2014.
- Op-ed, The Ever-Shrinking Case for a Constitutional Right to Same-Sex Marriage, Jurist - Forum, Feb. 6, 2014. Online.
- Book Review, 18 Law & Politics 605 (2008) (reviewing Sarah Elliston, The Best Interests of the Child in Healthcare (2007)).
- Essay, Funding Religion in a Post-Zelman World, 5(1) Gov't L. & Pol'y J. 11 (2003).
- Book Review, 13 School Field 7 (2002) (reviewing Randall Curren, Aristotle on the Necessity of Public Education (2000)) (solicited).