University Professor for Teaching Excellence
Office phone: (757) 221-3846
Office location: Room 223B
Full resume: here (.pdf in new window)
Areas of Specialization
Civil Procedure; Civil Rights Law; Employment Discrimination Law; Law and Society; Women and the Law
Teaching in Academic Year 2013-2014
Employment Discrimination; The Law Governing Harrassment at Work & School
Representative Professional Activities and Achievements
Clerked for Chief Judge Spottswood W. Robinson, III of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit and Judge Oliver Gasch of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and practiced law in Washington, D.C.
Distinguished Visiting Professor of Teaching Effectiveness, Franklin Pierce Law Center (Fall 1999)
Member of the Board of Directors, Virginia Lawyers Helping Lawyers; and
Member, American Bar Association Commission on Lawyer Assistance Programs.
- Served as:
- William and Mary's Director of Equal Opportunity from 2002 to 2007;
- Director, William and Mary Summer Law Program in Madrid, SPAIN (1999); and
- Director, William and Mary Summer Law Program in Adelaide, AUSTRALIA (1995).
- Walter Williams Teaching Award, May 2011;
- NAACP Faculty Award;
- Virginia Women Attorneys Association Foundation Distinguished Faculty Award;
- Black Law Students' Association Jane Matilda Bolin Award; and
- Black Law Student Association, Distinguished Faculty Award.
- Employment Discrimination Casebook (Carolina Acad. Press, 2011).
- Consider the Source: When the Harasser is the Boss, 79 Fordham L. Rev. 499 (2010). SSRN.
- Symposium Issue, Personal Integration and Outsider Status as Factors in Law Student Well Being, 47 Washburn L.J. 419 (2008).
- After Ellerth: The Tangible Employment Action in Sexual Harassment Analysis, 35 U. Mich. J.L. Reform 809 (2002).
- On the El, 12 Australian J. Law & Soc'y (1996).
- The Business Necessity Defense in Disparate Impact Discrimination Cases, 30 Ga. L. Rev. 387 (1996).
- "The First Stone" in Retrospect: An Outsider's Observations on the Book and Its Critics, 11 Wis. Women's L.J. 243 (1996), reprinted in Law Inst. J., Dec. 1996, at 32.
- Ain't?, 3 S. Cal. Rev. L. & Women's Stud. 335 (1994).
- The Employer's Fetal Injury Quandary After Johnson Controls, 81 Ky. L.J. 639 (1993).
- Zoe Baird, Betrayal and Fragmentation, 2 S. Cal. Rev. L. & Women's Stud. 429 (1993).
- The Silenced Majority: Martin v. Wilks and the Legislative Response, 1992 U. Ill. L. Rev. 43 (1992).
- Note, A Constitutional Analysis of the Delaware Director Consent-to-Service Statute, 70 Geo. L.J. 1209 (1982).
- Author and Counsel of Record, Brief of The Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law et al. as Amici Curiae in Support of Respondent, Pennsylvania State Police v. Suders, 126 S. Ct. 2405 (2004) (No. 05-259).
- Book Note, Ethics, Spring 2000, at 662 (reviewing Schulhofer, Unwanted Sex: The Culture of Intimidation and the Failure of the Law (1998)).
- Op-ed, The Virginia Human Rights Act: A Sanctuary for Employers Who Discriminate?, Daily Press, Jan. 1999, at ___.
- Op-ed, Regarding the Need for Legal Protection from Sexual Harassment in the Workplace in Barbados, Barbados Saturday Advocate, March 30, 1996, at 9.
- Why the Veto Hurts More Than You Think, Legal Times, Nov. 5, 1990, at 34.
- Reconciling Fairness and Racial Preference, Legal Times, July 2, 1990, at 23.