Christie S. Warren
Professor of the Practice of International and Comparative Law and Director, Center for Comparative Legal Studies and Post-Conflict Peacebuilding
Office phone: (757) 221-7852
Office location: Room 229A
Areas of Specialization
Comparative Constitutional Systems; Comparative Law--Constitutional Law; Comparative Law--Islamic Law; Comparative Law--Latin American Law; Comparative Law--Middle Eastern Law; Comparative and Foreign Law; Human Rights Law; International Law; Post-Conflict Justice; Transitional Justice
Comparative Law; Comparative Constitutional Law; Public International Law; International Human Rights Law; Post-Conflict Justice and the Rule of Law; Islamic Law
Representative Professional Activities and Achievements
Christie S. Warren, the 2016-2017 Fulbright Schuman Chair at the European University Institute in Florence, is Professor of the Practice of International and Comparative Law and founding Director of the Center for Comparative Legal Studies and Post-Conflict Peacebuilding. Her areas of specialization include Comparative Law, Comparative Constitutional Systems, Public International Law, Post-Conflict Justice, International Human Rights Law, Civil Code Systems and Islamic Law. She is a graduate of the Harvard Mediation Program.Warren has designed, implemented and evaluated constitutional, judicial, legal and academic programs in more than 55 countries throughout Africa, Central and East Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, Central and Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Russia and the Newly Independent States, the Balkans and East Timor. She was named the 1998-1999 Supreme Court Fellow at the Supreme Court of the United States and served as the 2010-2011 Senior Expert in Constitutional Issues for the United Nations Department of Political Affairs Mediation Support Unit Standby Team. Between 2007 and 2016 she served as Senior Technical Advisor to the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance's Constitution Building Processes Programme at the Hague. She currently serves under appointment by the Chief Justice of the United States as Supreme Court Fellows Commissioner. Warren has advised on constitutional issues and processes in Haiti, Iraq, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Somalia, Sudan and Ukraine and served as a Legal Advisor to the Darfur Peace Talks. She is the recipient of the Administration of Justice Award, awarded by the Supreme Court Fellows Alumni Association, "In Recognition of Significant Contributions to the International Administration of Justice and the Rule of Law."
- Editor and Contributor, International Legal Aid & Defender System Development Manual (Christie S. Warren et al. eds., Nat'l Legal Aid & Defender Ass'n 2010). Online.
- Lifting the Veil: Women and Islamic Law, 15 Cardozo J.L. & Gender 33 (2008).
- Quitando el Velo: Mujeres y Derecho Islamico, 9 Complutense Anuario de Derechos Humanos 621 (2008).
- Introduction to Special Collection: Seminar Papers on Women and Islamic Law, 11 Wm. & Mary J. Women & L. 505 (2005).
- Court Administration as a Tool for Judicial Reform: An International Perspective, National Center for State Courts (2001).
- The Cambodia Court Training Project, Sacramento County B. J. (1995).
- Institutionalizing Ethical Practices, in International Legal Aid & Defender System Development Manual (Christie S. Warren et al. eds., National Legal Aid & Defender Ass'n Press 2010). Online.
- Constitutions and Islamic Law, in Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Religion (forthcoming 2016).
- The Hanafi School, Oxford U. Press (2013). Online.
- Constitutions, Constitutionalism and the Role of Post-Conflict Constitution Building, International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (2011).
- Islamic Criminal Law, in Oxford Bibliogs (Oxford U. Press 2010). Online.
- Islamic Commercial Law, in 1 Oxford Encyclopedia of the Islamic World 469 (Oxford U. Press 2009). Online.
- Istislah, in 3 Oxford Encyclopedia of the Islamic World 213 (Oxford U. Press 2009). Online.
- Polygyny, in 4 Oxford Encyclopedia of the Islamic World 384 (Oxford U. Press 2009). Online.
- Op-ed, Constitution Guarantees Rights to All of Kosovo's Citizens, Richmond Times-Dispatch, Apr. 7, 2008.
- Introduction to the Major Legal Systems of the World, United States Institute of Peace (2006).
- Notes from Cambodia, Defender Magazine: 1995, 1996, 1997.