Angela M. Banks
Professor of Law
Office phone: (757) 221-1734
Office location: Room 236D
Areas of Specialization
Human Rights Law; Immigration Law; International Law; Women and the Law
Immigration; International Law; Human Rights; Contracts
Representative Professional Activities and Achievements
Angela Banks joined the faculty in 2007. She is a graduate of Harvard Law School, where she served on the Harvard Law Review and the Harvard International Law Journal. Prior to law school Professor Banks studied at the University of Oxford Centre for Socio-Legal Studies as a Marshall Scholar, where she earned a Master of Letters in Sociology.
Prior to joining the faculty, Professor Banks was the Reginald F. Lewis Fellow for Law Teaching at Harvard Law School. She has also served as a legal advisor to Judge Gabrielle Kirk McDonald at the Iran-United States Claims Tribunal; an associate at Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering in Washington, DC; and as law clerk for Judge Carlos F. Lucero of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit. Professor Banks received her B.A. in sociology, summa cum laude, from Spelman College.
- The Normative & Historical Cases for Proportional Deportation, 62 Emory J.L. 1243 (2013). SSRN.
- Symposium, Introduction: Noncitizen Participation in the American Polity, 21 Wm. & Mary Bil Rts. J. 333 (2012) (Symposium: Noncitizen Participation in the American Polity).
- The Curious Relationship Between "Self-Deportation" Policies and Naturalization Rates, 16 Lewis & Clark L. Rev. 1149 (2012). SSRN.
- Deporting Families: Political Question or Legal Issue?, 27 Ga. St. U. L. Rev. 489 (2011).
- The Trouble with Treaties: Immigration & Judicial Review, 84 St. John's L. Rev. 1219 (2010).
- CEDAW, Compliance, and Custom: Human Rights Enforcement in Sub-Saharan Africa, 32 Fordham Int'l L.J. 781 (2009). SSRN.
- Symposium, Proportional Deportation, 55 Wayne L. Rev. 1651 (2009).
- Sovereignty, Deference, and Deportation: Allocating and Enforcing Immigrant's Rights in the United States and Europe, 103 Am. Soc'y Int'l L. Proc. 227 (2009).
- Symposium, Expanding Participation in Constitution Making: Challenges and Opportunities, 49 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 1043 (2008). SSRN.
- Challenging Political Boundaries in Post-Conflict States, 29 U. Pa. J. Int'l L. 105 (2007). SSRN.
- Participatory Constitution Making in Post-Conflict States, 101 Am. Soc'y Int'l L. Proc. 138 (2007).
- Moderating Politics in Post-Conflict States: An Examination of Bosnia and Herzegovina, 10 UCLA J. Int'l L. & Foreign Aff. 1 (2005). SSRN.
- Carla Del Ponte: Her Retrospective of Four Years in The Hague, 6 Int'l L.F. D. Int'l 37 (2004).
- The Growing Impact of Non-State Actors on the International and European Legal Systems, 5 Int'l L.F. 293 (2003).
- Note, The Relationship Between Equality and Access in Law School Admissions, 113 Harv. L. Rev. 1449 (2000).
- Case Comment, Foreign Affairs Power--The Massachusetts Burma Law is Found to Encroach on the Federal Government's Exclusive Constitutional Authority to Regulate Foreign Affairs.--National Foreign Trade Council v. Baker, 26 F. Supp. 2d 287 (D. Mass. 1998), 112 Harv. L. Rev. 2013 (1999).
- Case Comment, The Supreme Court 1998 Term--Civil Rights Act of 1991--Employer Liability for Punitive Damages in Title VII Claims: Kolstad v. American Dental Association, 119 S. Ct. 2118 (1999), 113 Harv. L. Rev. 359 (1999) (Supreme Court Case Comment).
- Closing the Schoolhouse Doors: State Efforts to Limit K-12 Education for Unauthorized Migrants, in The Resegregation of Schools: Race and Education in the Twenty-First Century (Jamel K. Donnor & Adrienne D. Dixson eds., forthcoming 2013).
- Report, Democracy and Diversity: Principles and Concepts for Educating Citizens in a Global World (Center for Multicultural Education, University of Washington 2005) (International Review Panel Member). Online.
- Report, Sexual Violence and International Criminal Law: An Analysis of the Ad Hoc Tribunals' Jurisprudence & the International Criminal Court's Elements of Crimes (Fall 2005) (prepared for Women's Initiatives for Gender Justice, The Hague, Netherlands). Online.